Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bangkok life the past year


It's hard to believe that just about half a year ago, we were living in anxiety, worried about the 2011 floods in Bangkok.  I call that the Big Flood That Never Was*, cos I never saw any waters anywhere near where I was.  Of course I count my blessings but what an experience that was.  We were storing water, filtering water, hoarding food, imagining waters approaching from the next soi, worried about our kids' 45 min bus journey to school.  School was closed for a while too and much to Brian and his friends' annoyance, they had to do e-learning from home.  Unlike many others, we decided to stay put in Bangkok, as it turned out, that was a really good decision.

Again, blessings...the boys' school wasn't affected either.  Just east of where the school was located, another international school, Harrows, was flooded badly.  So much so that lessons eventually had to be conducted at a school (NIST) in the city, with lessons starting after 3pm (after lessons for NIST kids were done).  I'm not sure how long that arrangement lasted, but it wasn't a short time.

Other than that, the year went by pretty uneventfully.  School continues to be wonderful for both the kids, well, all of us love Bangkok a lot.  Even when it's crazy hot like it's been this week, 40deg!  But here's a video of a flood relief trip we made during those trying times.  Here's wishing only good things for this beautiful country.


video

*Okay, the Big Flood that Never Was is probably insensitive to the tens of thousands who suffered terribly during the floods.  What I mean was the flood never came to most of inner city Bangkok yet the media portrayed it as if all of Bangkok was submerged.  My mum was calling me often asking me to leave Bangkok and warning me to keep the boys home from school.  In fact, at the time, there was more chance of seeing a flood in inner Singapore than it was in Bangkok.  

No comments: