Friday, November 05, 2010

My teenager thru the years: 2000

These were taken in June 2000, when Brian was 2 years and 8 months.

This was a nice time with Brian. He was a much better traveller than he was the year before. Very curious and would mumble things to himself, happy to point out, "red car, blue car, green car" or whatever car it was that was driving past :)

This is on a Swiss train from Zurich to Lucerne.


In his PJs, on the balcony of our hotel in Lucerne. He was missing his grandma and we were also severely jetlagged, waking up past dinner the night before

Found this on my old yahoo email, "Brian misses my mum a lot. In Lucerne, he kept calling out "por por, por por" looking all disturbed and almost ready to cry. He even went to the telephone and picked up the handset and said, "por por, por por". So poor thing huh? He never misses me like this. My mum's still fierce as usual and doesn't spoil him, but even though he kena scolding, he still goes to her cos he knows she loves him more than anything in the world. He says, "Brian is popo's darling cucu". Cucu is Malay for grandchild.


In Paris, he had a little stomach trouble, kept having to go to the toilet at inappropriate times. Here we are at the top of Arc De Triomphe, behind you can see Eiffel Tower all litted up for the Millenium. Now to get to the top, there was quite a bit of stairs to climb, and we took turns carrying him. I was pooped out by the time we got to the top and then within minutes, Brian said he needed to poo! Alamak, the toilet was located midway, so I had to carry the little bugger all the way down and up again. Pengsan!


Here in Versailles, luckily, I had brought with me a collapsible potty from Robinsons, cos he actually did his business in the gardens of Versailles...Eddie the great rhymer went on to tease him that he "pangsai in Versailles".



His first time in Disneyland, knock out midway through.


With Mickey.


With The Thinker.


Awww...he was a cutie then :)


Outside the Pompidou Centre. This was our first time in Paris, so I was kiasu and tried to squeeze in as many museum visits as I could. Brian was mostly good throughout although I have a video cam recording of art pieces in Musee D'orsay with a little pitiful voice asking, "Where's Porpor? I want Porpor"...missing grandma :)


When we got back to Rome, Eddie went to work and one day I took a day trip to Capri with Brian. He was the only kid on the bus filled will adult tourists. It was a bus journey, stopping at Naples to take a ferry to Sorrento, and I can't remember now how we got to Capri.


It was such a beautiful day and the Isle of Capri was as gorgeous as I anticipated. Lots of glamourous people in fancy cars, think Grace Kelly.


At the lunch place, we met this other family, not from the same bus. Their little girl was so enamoured with Brian's hair and kept coming to touch his hair. They continued to play with each other later.


On the little boats that take folks into the Blue Grotto. The blue grotto isn't always accessible, even during summer, it depends on the tide and how sunny the day is. If the sun isn't shining brightly, the effect will not be there, or something like that. We were lucky that we got to go in and it remains one of the best experiences of my life, the luminous blue was so gorgeous and magical...well, maybe cos my favourite colour is blue.


Brian was a little scared going into the grotto but other than that, he was impeccably behaved throughout the day trip, even on the journey home. The angmoh tourists on the bus came to me at the end and one by one kept saying how good he was haha...I think they must have been worried when they saw there was a young one on the bus.

4 comments:

monlim said...

Wow, he's quite the little traveller, isn't he? Such nice memories! And hey, he's a very young Casanova - his first kiss was with a cute ang moh girl!!!!!!

Lilian said...

haha, Asian boy with straight black hair mah, very exotic to the curly-brown/blond-haired girls. This little girl was particularly cute, not sure what her ethnicity was, looks like South American. Her parents told me but I forgot.

Now that I look back, all the interesting photos are of travels. And we haven't been travelling much these past years :( *goes off to nag at Eddie AGAIN*

hahaha...

monlim said...

Actually hah, your memory is super. You can still remember what happened and who said what after all these years!! I can't even remember some of the places I've been to :P

Lilian said...

Errr...not really lah haha...I used to keep a journal, also looked through past emails to some old friends from Malacca, then only managed to remember where I went and when. I'm sure there are lots of things I've forgotten too.