Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rolls Royce of calculators?

From my room, I hear running water. Thinking Brian was bathing, I shouted out to Sean.

He came running, "Yes..."

I asked, "Is korkor bathing?"

Sean: No, he's doing his homework.

Me: Oh, okay.

Sean: He's using his super clever scientific calculator.

And by that, Sean's referring to the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator I just bought for Brian. It was actually already in his school stationery list last year, but I didn't buy it cos it was so expensive (5600 baht or S$250). His Math teacher told him at the end of school year that he would definitely need the calculator when school starts. So no choice but to fork out the dough...thankfully a friend was kind enough to source this from Bras Basah Singapore for S$205.

Sigh...can almost buy an iPod Touch already...

Texas Instruments  TI-84 Plus Silver Edition  Graphing Calculator

9 comments:

monlim said...

Err.... what has that gotta do with the running water???

Lilian said...

hahaha...absolutely nothing :) Just a lead-in to the tale of this expensive counting machine :P

monlim said...

Hahahahaha, now I'm wondering, if Sean and Brian were both accounted for, who was the phantom taking a shower??

Lilian said...

Oh, the water needs to run for a while before it gets hot, so that was Brian waiting for the water to heat up. No, no phantom haha.

Anonymous said...

'Rolls Royce of calculators'...hahaha

Lilian, my dd brought home a T1-nspire CAS on the last day of a math symposium. Apparently it was a prize for their group project. Upon seeing the T1-nspire, I asked her : "Why did they give you a Bar-Code scanning machines?" ;-P

Chris

Lilian said...

LOL@barcode scanning machine! Wah, did she win the barcode scanning machine or was it just given away? So generous one. Is she using it yet? If not, I should have bought over from you...but not sure if the school here allows your TI version or not.

Anonymous said...

It does look like a portable barcode scanner that I saw those supermarket manager using going around scanning the products. :-P

It was a prize for the top 2 groups of winners. She has been using it since and loves it to bits. There is always only 2 things in her hand, the barcode scanner and the book that she is reading.

Chris

Lilian said...

Your girl is really advance, I don't even know how to use the calculator...looks too cheem for me!

Anonymous said...

I don't think she knows the full functions, but she can spent the whole day manipulating the other installed applications and notes. I was told it retail at about S$240.

Chris