Friday, March 26, 2010

Tokyo --> Singapore --> Bangkok

We left Tokyo last night, arrived in Singapore at 130am today and will be off to Bangkok tomorrow morning. Needless to say, it's been quite a mad rush this past week. It's so hard to believe the day is finally here. I have been waiting for this day since we first got news of the posting to Bangkok. We are so happy and grateful for this new adventure.

On the one hand, I'm very excited, on the other, there's apprehension, that the reality of day-to-day living will come a lot short of the idealistic picture of "life in Bangkok" as I have painted it in my head. Or maybe it's just me trying to temper my own expectations.

I am determined though to make the most of our time in Bangkok. There's so much to be excited about, I want to recapture that early exuberance and not spoil the joy by overthinking things the way I always do!

So keep us in your prayers, that all of us settle well and settle quickly, at school, at home, at work and at play. Just typing this has been good, I am feeling the excitement return :), as it should.

Bangkok here we come!

8 comments:

Babypowder said...

Woo hoo!! Sawadeeeeeeeeeeeee..

Have fun, babe!!

monlim said...

I can sense your excitement from here! So happy that Eddie finally got a posting that all of you are happy with. I'm sure you will have a fantastic experience there - BKK has been rated one of the best places for expats, so you're very blessed indeed :)

Lilian said...

Thanks guys! Just got in, no traffic at all from airport, and didn't spot a single red shirt, touch wood :) Out for lunch in a bit. See u guys in BKK soon!

mariposa said...

Hey Lilian,

Have you read the book 'The How of Happiness' by any chance? Sounds like you might have.. ;-) I'm in the middle of it now and it's one of the most illuminating books I've ever read! It may end up next to the bible for me in terms of guidance for living... :D

YY.

Lilian said...

No YY, have not read the book. What makes you think I might have? I will look out for it at the bookstores, who's the author? Give me the gist of it if possible :)

Lilian said...

YY, there's actually an iPhone App called Live Happy based on this book.

Here's the author talking about the app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrwPnXdtJM&feature=related

I think I'll download it :)

mariposa said...

Oh, because you mentioned in a recent post that you don't think you're a fundamentally happy person (the book posits, through research, that people are born with a predetermined 'happiness-setpoint'--a happiness thermostat, if you will--that determines the basic 50% of their happinss).

And then in this post you mentioned the term 'overthinking'--which the book elaborated on as one of the list of 'happiness activities' to embark on (this one is about *avoiding* overthinking, actually).

However later as I searched your blog I realized you had previously read something called the 'Happiness Project' and was at one time applying its suggestions. So I think both the project and the book probably drew on the same research findings, which explains the similarities. Recently there seem to be a 'happiness trend' going on. I've actually also got the book 'Stumbling on Happiness', but this one tends to go on at length about research process and findings and isn't half as readable as 'The How of Happiness'. I recommend 'The How of Happiness' over 'Stumbling on Happiness'.

mariposa said...

Oh good, I've just uploaded that video onto my facebook profile ^_^..