Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bangkok's Chinatown

Eddie and his predecessor Erwin had their own dinner plans tonight, so Erwin's wife Angelina took me to Chinatown. We left the kids back in the apartment with a sitter. Traffic was good.



Angelina wanted to show me where to find Malaysian-like durians. We both aren't keen on Thai durians, not even the highly-raved about Monthong durians.



Unfortunately for me, the usual Chinese lady selling durians from a van wasn't here tonight. She is usually somewhere behind these group of fruit-sellers. I am noting this here so I'll remember where to look next time.


Angelina also showed me Soi 11 here, a street filled with food vendors at night but which has a wet market in the morning. I'm not to bother coming on a Monday as many stalls are closed.


Seafood...mmm...I saw a delectable big plate of clams being served from this stall.


Now, I'm supposed to walk along Soi 11 to the end, turn right and find this lane during the day. This area is called Sampeng. There'll be shops selling bags along this street. I should walk towards the end and there'll be many alleys selling all kinds of stuff including cheap stationery, cheap Christmas ornaments, cheap water guns during Songkhran, basically, anything and everything you can think of, cheaply! Haha...


We walked back to the main road and I packed wantan noodles for the boys (40 baht a pack, pretty small portion). While waiting, I got myself a cup of coconut juice from this lady (15 baht a cup). I found it pretty sweet and wasn't sure if it was naturally sweet or if syrup had been added. Angelina said I am to tell vendors Mai Wan (Not Sweet), else everything will be really sweet.


Angelina packed duck rice from here for her girls. I also bought some juicy pomelos, they're supposed to be healthy for you.

9 comments:

monlim said...

Cheap stuff and street food!!! What could be better? I've also realised that the Thais like everything sweet though (and spicy), I guess it's an acquired taste.

Lilian said...

Yes, food is sweet and spicy and tasty! I love Thai food, but gotta watch the sweet bit, esp for drinks and dessert. I had some papaya just now and it was so fragrant and sweet, but naturally so. Just love the fruits here. Was majorly deprived in Moscow :)

eunice said...

Thais love sugar in EVERYTHING! And the women are still so damn skinny. Have you triedthe Thai tea (cha yen) yet? I used to drink it every day till I found out it had more sugar than Coke!

Go to Sampheng for Christmas decor, Halloween decor and loads of other stufff. Aiyo, reading your blog is making me majorly homesick!

monlim said...

What, you mean you don't miss the ice, ice, snow, snow, freezebuttoff, ice, ice in Moscow??

Lilian said...

Eunice: Yalah, why are they still so skinny if the food is all sweet? Haven't tried Cha Yen yet, but more sugar than Coke? I'll stick to Coke then :P Before I go shopping in Sampheng, I wanna go eating there...those clams are calling out to me hehe...

Monica: Only Sean is complaining about the heat here, so just now I told him he could go back to Moscow if he misses the cold so much.

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

I love BKK too! Should plan a trip there just to eat :P Sounds like u are settling down well. Have the boys started school? Or will wait till after summer?

Lilian said...

Yes, definitely must come and pig out Sandy :) It's still handover week, so not really settled in yet. Kids will start school after Songkran hols. They are getting the break they never got last summer when Brian had to go to school in Sg :P

Wendy said...

Lilian, your photos are beautiful. Are you a professional photographer or is this a hobby?

It is the Central Thais that like sweet food. You need to try some of the regional dishes from the Northeast (Isaan) and North. Many different flavors and no sugar.

Enjoy exploring Bangkok!

Lilian said...

Thanks Wendy for the huge compliment. Tee hee...not a professional photographer at all, and not even a serious hobbyist. I love gorgeous photos, but even after buying a DSLR my little brain can't quite grasp all the different settings needed to take great pictures.

Do you or did you live in Thailand? You sound like you know the country really well.