Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Monster Within

I've been in a generally amiable mood for some time now. Nothing fazes me, nothing frustrates me, I'm just super chilled. And even when something irritates me, I'm able to brush it off after ranting a little.

And today, I realise just what can trigger the monster within me. I was going around thinking whoopee-doo, I'm so zen, so self-satisfied. And then suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, I went on a crazy verbal rampage, like a tempestuous tornado, sparing no one within my path. All because of this 'thing', this thing that didn't exist in my life for the most part of my 40 years, this thing that shouldn't mean so much to a sane person. (Then again, I never claimed to be fully sane.)

This thing...is...this stupid computer!!! When something goes wrong with my computer, I go nuts. If the internet konks out, my hands get slightly cold and I feel my nerves acting up. But this time it wasn't the internet. My computer has been lethargic for a couple of weeks and I decided to do a System Restore....I later realised a couple of programmes also disappeared. One of them was my Acrobat Reader which stopped working.

Tried downloading Acrobat Reader again and couldn't. Undid System Restore and my programmes came back, but Acrobat Reader still wasn't working. Somehow, this problem just magnified all the other non-computer-related problems around me that annoyed me but that I had managed to somehow laugh off before.

No more laughing. I was fuming when I found my measuring cup missing as I prepared to bake bread. Suddenly, the image of my helper just annoyed me to no end. Now I've been very patient with this helper since she started coming over about 2 months ago. I've had to hunt high and low for things cos she doesn't think or look first when she decides where to place them. She's left without telling me the clothes were still in the washing machine. There's more, but somehow, they didn't bother me that much.

But tonight, cos of my computer problem, I was soooo maddddd when I couldn't find the cup. I called her up and spoke to her in a very exasperated voice, going on and on about how she should realise that there are other measuring cups that match this one, so she should know where to put this one. After I was done with that, I suddenly looked around the kitchen and started shouting at the boys about not helping out at all, for leaving the plates on the dining table after eating, for not unloading the dishwasher.

So there Brian was unloading the dishwasher, and loading it with dirty dishes, and Sean clearing the dining table and then wiping it clean...and I was still nagging and grumbling.

And then I started remembering how annoying Brian has been recently for asking me where to put certain utensils when he's unloading the dishwasher. I said, C'mon, you have been doing this so often, you don't have to ask anymore, you should know by now where the things should be placed, open your eyes!!

He went, "Mummy, are you scolding me just because you're angry with the maid for misplacing your measuring cup?" I said, "No!, I'm also upset with you...I just didn't tell you earlier!" He said, "So you're scolding me for asking you where to put the things?"

.....

I went back to the computer. Didn't want to talk to anyone anymore.

.....

I desperately need help. Someone fix my Acrobat Reader.

Kidding...I know, I have an addiction....and it's driving me crazy!!!

.....

By the way, Sean was very sweet. Unlike Brian who challenged me when I went on my rampage, Sean just did whatever he was told to do, and later while I was putting on his Ortho-K lens (grumbling about how no one else (aka Eddie) wants to learn to help him put the lens on and how I always end up doing this when other 7-year olds can handle the lens themselves...) he said, "Are you okay Mummy?" in the most caring way.

Haha...this fella really knows how to handle me when I'm raging...he keeps away and then comes and says the nicest things. Works like magic! I'm calm now...

.....

UPDATE: Okay, now I'm really calm :) Managed to solve my problem, everything working fine now. Happy happy...

22 comments:

monlim said...

Hahahahahaa, you are truly Jekyll and Hyde! I wonder if Bill Gates knew what monster he created...

I sympathise entirely, I was half crazed when my pc crashed earlier this year. But you know, one thing surprised me - I never knew you had a helper!!!

Lilian said...

I think he created quite a lot of monsters...mostly women :)

Helper part-time only lah...2-3 times a week, 4 hours each time. Rest of the time I'm the asam/maid/slave. I still have to cook every day you know.

But Sean's now so much better than me at cleaning up rooms that he can make the bed, clear the floor, and make the rooms look really neat, in 1/100th the time it takes me, so I am a little less of a slave haha...

mun said...

Glad to know that your computer is working fine now and the monster has left the building. :)

Lilian said...

Thanks Mun, indeed today was a good day...am all ready to usher in the new year on a cheerful note!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...Don't you have more than one computer? I might sound quite excessive. As a family we have 5: 1 home PC, 2 work laptops, 1 netbook for easy to move around during non-working day and 1 tablet for our child. Now including iphone....even more reach into internet connection. Now I wonder if this is the reason why I don't get withdrawal symptoms.


qx

Anonymous said...

Perhaps another thing to invest in since you get computer issues quite a bit. An external hard disk for regular backups. Despite having 5 machines, if any crashes on me, I will be devastated with the data loss, not the connectivity.

qx

Lilian said...

This is how IT-klutzy my household is. We had an iMac, gorgeous thing with the harddisk built into the monitor. In the hands of either my husband/Brian, it konked out. It was already getting sluggish and had a funny whirring sound so maybe time was up.

I have a 3 year old Dell laptop but it gets heated up easily and is very cluttered.

I also have a mini Acer (Linux cheapo one) which I assigned for my husband to use. Haven't been used in some time, at one time it was not working, then it worked again.

My newest laptop is the one that was having problem. I know I have my other laptop but I still want to use this one and as long as it's not resolved I'll still be edgy. I didn't want to have to use the other computer each time I wanted to read a pdf document.

The issue is also my internet connection with these two laptops, both Vistas. Somehow, when the two Vistas are online, the connection keeps dropping and coming on again. Very bad connection. So we usually try to keep only one computer online unless really necessary to have both online.

Reason I'm not resolving that is cos I've tried many times with no success. Too much ding-donging and since I'm leaving soon, just live with just one laptop connected at any one time.

Yes, I have an external hard disk, but too lazy to do back-up. I do have most of my photos there but my data isn't backed up on a daily/weekly basis, only when I am in the right frame of mind to do it.

There you go, my computer woes. Which is probably laughable to the IT-savvy, but it is a real problem to us :P

eunice said...

OMG that was sooooo funny! I totally understand cos when something goes wrong with my computer, I become obsessed till it's fixed.

monlim said...

My cousin (the IT guy) says when pple call him to say their pc crashed, he'll ask "do you do housekeeping?" And if the answer is "what's housekeeping?", he knows jialat liao :P

Lilian said...

Eunice: I hope you have good IT support in HCMC! haha...so many monster mummies.

Mon: I don't even do housekeeping for my real house, what more my virtual house!! What exactly do they mean by housekeeping anyway? Delete files that you don't need anymore? I sometimes try doing that, but always feel, hmm, maybe I'll need that one day. Classic hoarder mentality.

Elan said...

Sounds like me too. But when computer things go wrong I mostly rage at poor hubby cos I think its always his fault since he's the one who set up the whole system!

Wow, your boys both sound so helpful! I would be lucky if they remember to PUT their cups into the sink after a drink! (Note: if they WASHED the cups, it may induce me to buy my first-ever 4D ticket). I think I should spend some time overseas without a maid! Can I get Sean to come and train my boys to clean just their own rooms please? ;-)

Happy Chinese New Year and may you have a blessed and stress-free year with no more computer outages and loads of good cheer. May God's blessings be upon you and all your family!

Lilian said...

Thanks Elan for your wonderful wishes. I also wish you and your beautiful family a Blessed Year ahead. Hope you guys had a blast on CNY Day 1, and I'm sure the boys will enjoy their long break.

Your hubby so poor thing, set up for you still kena scolding haha. Anyway, you look very mild, so I'm sure when you say Rage, it's probably a very mild scolding. Plus you're not quite as addicted to the internet as many of us here are :)

Tsu Lin + + said...

Rage Against the Machine!

I can empathise with you because I am almost exactly the same. Sometimes when I wake up in the mornings, do all my chores & find that my internet is down, I get sooooo riled up. And when I call the customer service centre, they get an earful & once they had to offer me money back to pacify me.

Us, monsters-internet-dependent-mommies. I wonder if moms of the older generation cringe at such monsters they have created!

Lilian said...

Rage against the Machine indeed! Were you one of those who bought that single to deny Joe McElderry his Christmas No1? haha...

I had soooo much trouble in London when I was first trying to get internet connection. It's a long story, I think our predecessor was with AOL, and I'm sure he cancelled his subscription, but AOL apparently still had a hold on that line, and I couldn't use another ISP unless our predecessor personally called up to release the line. What kind of archaic rule is that?

It was weeks of ding-dong-ing and threats before I finally got my ISP, and then came another problem. This lousy Tiscali Customer service, each time I called, the fella doesn't understand me, I don't understand him. I asked, Are you in UK? He said, Yes Aye Yam. Obviously lying.

Finally, changed to Virgin, and my troubles left. Excellent customer service. Each time I called, I got to speak to someone in the UK who walked me through any issues I had.

Hope you're with a good ISP.

Anonymous said...

Hi all ,

Seeing that most here are Singaporeans . My sister and her 7 year old daughter are visiting S-pore in May 2010 for four days . Any inputs regarding what they can visit/see/enjoy/eat , anything unique away from the tourist ckt ? Appreciate .
-The Indian

Lilian said...

Most tourists would go to Sentosa...and by May the new Universal Studios should be open?

Other than that, I'm pretty clueless. We love eating crabs in East Coast Seafood Centre, specifically Jumbo Seafood.

You may want to take a peek at www.rojakrendezvous.blogspot.com Blogger there is Singaporean but she's very adventurous and always seems able to find interesting places to see/do in Singapore.

Tsu Lin + + said...

No, I just read with amusement regarding the war btwn Joe vs the Machine's!

I am with Virgin, they offered me some money to compensate me last time because I told the lady my internet has been down 2 days in 2 weeks so far and that is well below even a 90% Service Level Agreement (SLA) and I am not very happy! My previous ISP provider wasn't too bad either.

Tsu Lin + + said...

PS : Who won? (Joe or the Machines?)

Lilian said...

See...Virgin is good...even offered to compensate you $$. Will never happen in Moscow!

Rage won...poor Joe is the first X Factor winner to not have the Christmas No1.

Elan said...

oi Lillian! What happened to your blog everyday resolution - 11 days already, your readers await....

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

This is a GREAT post Lilian!!! I think we are all slaves to the internet.:P It helps us CONNECT! Duh! LOL!!!

Lilian said...

Haha Elan, you're probably not aware, but mine is a monthly, not yearly resolution...:P Go check my January archive, there's one post every day! haha. I said before, once I stop, really hard to get back on, will try to post something soon. You wanna do a guest post? :)

Sandy: Wonder why this plagues mostly women! Maybe cos we get to yak-yak-yak 24/7 on the internet.