Monday, December 14, 2009

Solving the Bermuda Triangle Mystery



The Bermuda Triangle of stationeries, that is. As recently as early this week, Brian came to me asking for a ruler and as usual, we couldn't find one. When he needed colour pencils for homework, again, we could only find a limited number of colours. It was frustrating cos I am always replenishing supplies but they seem to go missing as quickly as I could buy them.

So this weekend, I went around the house hunting for lost items from the Bermuda Triangle of stationeries. Recovered were about 50+ rulers (including about 7 protractors), 20+ erasers, 10+ sharpeners, 100+ pens (about 50+ blue, 40+ black, 10+ red and an assortment of other colours), 10 correction tapes/liquid, 100+ pencils (about 20 of these brand new in box) and hundreds of colour pencils. And this is after discarding a half wastepaper basket full of unusable pens/pencils/highlighter/empty correction tapes etc.

I organised the items and stored them in clear plastic cases such as this one for Blue Pens.



Hopefully, this system works and things stop finding their way into the Triangle.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOLLLL...my spring cleaning will probably uncover the same......if I don't set the system right for her soon enough, she will be the one left on the shelf in future instead of her stationeries.

qx

mariposa said...

Good job! I only have one kid left at home now so things are much more manageable.. ;-). It's easier to go after just one kid because there isn't anyone else he can blame things on.. haha!

YY.

Anonymous said...

Lilian, that's a lot of stuff you discovered from the bermuda triangle...LOL.

I bought those plastic drawers and label each drawer for pencils, pens, colour pencils, crayons and one drawer for ruler, staple, paperclips etc. Very easy for the kids to just pull out the drawer and throw the stationeries in.

Chris

Lilian said...

You're super organised lah Chris. I remember you saying you had a system for something else too, but I can't remember it now.

mariposa said...

Hey Chris, I must learn your system! It's a great 'Stationery Saver'.

YY.

monlim said...

See lah, u didn't blog for so long I forgot to check!

At least things can be recovered from your Bermuda Triangle! Doesn't it feel great to know at least you don't need to buy new stationery for a while? lol

Lilian said...

Yes, it feels really good lol! Popular will not be making money from me this trip back to Singapore! No, no, no!

Anonymous said...

Lilian, I have no choice but to train them, I have no helper, one person boa ka liao, so they must learn from young to keep their own stuff...LOL.

Hi YY, my 10yo is still using the same drawers I bought for her when she was 3yo. The drawers come in different sizes, so can choose one that meets your needs. I put the plastic drawers on her pigeon hole book shelf. Do not put the drawers too high, it needs to be easily access for the kids to look into to find what they need, so they will willingly put the things back in again. ^_^

Chris

mariposa said...

Hi Chris,

I can imagine if I make them use this kind of drawer system, they'll complain I'm too 'anal.' Aiyah, in my family, hubby & 2 older kids all ADD-types. Very hard to make them even pay attention long enough to hear me explain what all the labels are ;-p

Hubby is actually pretty tidy, because he handles mess by simply throwing most of it away! He's definitely not a hoarder.

But I think I can train my 8-yo. He's less ADD and is more 'anal', a little like me.

YY.