Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Closing a Chapter...



Today, Brian wore his Singapore primary school uniform for the last time ever. He wore it to his new secondary school where registration for Secondary 1 feeder boys was taking place. He now has his new secondary school uniform, which doesn't look all that much different from the primary one, except that the shorts are longer, more bermuda-like.

He will be attending the one-week orientation and then another week of school at ACS Independent. According to some of the older boys there, there won't be much studying during the first couple of weeks, just lots of fun and bonding for the kids. Brian is likely to know many of his classmates anyway, as a majority of his ACS Primary GEP classmates are also moving on to ACSI and doing the Integrated Programme (which leads to the IB - International Baccalaureate) as well.

His Moscow school is also an IB school and he went through the IB Primary programme called the PYP (Primary Years Programme) during elementary school (which Sean is going through now). In that sense, he will be familiar with how the IB system works when he eventually joins ACSI for good. Of course we are aware that it won't be easy jumping back as ACSI is a top IB world school. In fact, it will be pretty darn hard! I mean, in his Language Arts reading list is a Salman Rushdie book for heaven's sake! But won't worry about that now. I just want to enjoy the fruits of Brian's labour...PSLE is over, time to relax for as long as possible.

Anyway, I'm sure today (and for most of Singapore tomorrow) is a very poignant day for the parents who went with their Pri6 kids to the new school. Our little ones are growing up...sob...which also means we are getting old lor...

When I walked around Brian's spanking, swanky secondary school, I can actually feel the buzz of the school...maybe this is what they call school spirit, you can really feel it. I'm not the one attending the school, but I actually felt excitement welling up inside me...and I know Brian is excited too. I feel somewhat 'sayang' (wasted) that he will not be going to ACSI right from the start. On the other hand, I'm also glad he's getting a different kind of education and experience overseas. So it's all good.

Oh, one excellent news we found out at school today was that 4 Jan 2010 will not be first day of school at ACSI. ACSI was recently awarded the SQA (Singapore Quality Award), it's the first educational institution to receive the award...so 4 Jan has been declared a holiday. School will only start on 5 Jan! Why am I so happy? Well, it means I have the option of returning to Singapore from Malaysia on 4 Jan, when in all likelihood there won't be any jam at the causeway...yippee...

By the way, the messy mop gets snipped off tomorrow. The ACSI Year Director saw Brian at the school office and after saying Well Done when she found out he was in the Integrated Programme, said with a smile, "You do know your hair will have to be a lot shorter when school starts right?" Yikes :)

Mop dos are fine for a Beatle, but not for "A Scholar, An Officer and a Gentleman", geddit son? Wait kena caning then you know.

16 comments:

monlim said...

Pity about the mop, he might just have the Beatle-esque stature, girls in tow!

The start of the sec school journey is so exciting and momentous. L-A went to hers today and it was a great experience too, to be in the school with the kids who will be your school mates and walking around the campus thinking "this is my school".

It's thoughtful of you to let Brian go through orientation, at least he'll have that to fall back on if he ever needs to come back. The bonding will be beneficial, I'm sure.

Lilian said...

The mop was irking me already, covering his eyes, so irritating. Sri Nada did a great job, haha, very short now, someone's not happy about it...but he's got almost 2 weeks to grow into the new do.

Actually, when I saw how much attending the 2 weeks of school was gonna cost me (ya, gotta pay misc fees, uniform, etc)...I asked him if he really needed to go, and he was very adamant that he wanted to attend the orientation, so bopian.

It was exciting for us even though we don't know when he'll step into school for good, so I can imagine how much more exciting it is for you guys :)

breve1970 said...

Hi Lilian. You are a great mum!:) So nice of you to fly all the way back for Brian's orientation.

A Blessed Christmas and A Joyous New Year to you and your family. All the very best!

Love,
ann

elan said...

Oh so you're back again? Too bad I missed you at ACS(I) yesterday. You must have gone later than 1230pm? Did you even buy the textbooks!? kind of wasteful since the first week is the Orientation camp or are you going to make him study them in Moscow? Hopefully you got the uniform from the other place (that doesn't start with B) - I was told it is better quality and cheaper.
Haha...yes, my sons have that kind of mop after 2 months of no hair cut. We're waiting till after Christmas to lop it off.
Yes, I was like "our son is soing to secondary school... wow, he's so big, we're so old...sob" to my husband all day long yesterday.

Hopefully Chris and Brian get to be in the same class again.

elan

mariposa said...

Hey, this hairstyle is very 'in' leh.. Check out this video of up and coming Canadian teen pop star, Justin Bieber, singing for Obama.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kidrauhl?blend=1&ob=4

I'll bet his haircut will soon be copied by every teenage boy ;-)

YY.

mariposa said...

See him making thousands of girls scream...
http://www.youtube.com/user/kidrauhl?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/7/CKoRThbuT5M

YY.

Lilian said...

@Ann: Hehe, thanks for saying I'm a great mum...but we were flying back for winter break anyway, so just timed it so that he gets to attend orientation. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too :)

@Elan: Yup, I went quite late, almost 2pm. By the time I was done (after applying Leave of Absence, paying all kinds of fees), and buying the uniform (aiyah I did buy from B :(), the photo-taking fella was done for the day! So had to buy tie and badge for him to take his photo in Malacca, where we are now. But passport photo here so cheap, a dozen for RM12! No, didn't buy any books from the school cos they came in a bundle. I went to Popular and got the text for Science and History (Living Past), not sure if they will be used cos he's mighty busy with schoolwork this year. Brian said he can't imagine Chris in a mop do hehe. And yes, hope the kids get placed in the same class, Brian had fun in 6I.

@YY: Haha, unlike Justin's carefully styled do, Brian's isn't even a hair 'style', it's just unstyled, uncut, mess of hair. He hates his current hair do, haha...$8 haircut from Sri Nada. I like it though :)

Elan said...

oh are you from Malacca? that's my Dad's home town and we went there for all our school holidays!

Merry Christmas and have a Blessed New Year to you and family.

elan

Lilian said...

Really? Which part of Malacca is your dad from? Klebang, Trengkera, Ujong Pasir, Bandar Hilir, Bukit Beruang, Ayer Keroh? I'm in Bukit Baru. I grew up here, only left for Singapore after A levels (STPM). As it is, I've spent more than half my life in Singapore now :)

elan said...

As a child, he used to live in the house on the beach-front road leading to Klebang Besar, its still standing there now but I think it's some kind of car workshop now. It's the small funny shaped, run-down looking one with the distinctive, can't-miss-it tower. It has farmland behind it and the beach right in front.(sorry lah, don't know the address can only recognise the house). his aunt's family still lives in Klebang Besar.
Now he owns an apartment in Mahkota hotel and that's where he stays when he goes back.

elan

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

My first thought when I looked at B's pic was "the hair"! Was thinking how he could have gotten away with it in Spore. LOL! It's great that he has friends that he knows with him. :)

LadyB said...

Hmmm...wondering where else beside Bibi & Baba could I buy uniforms at a cheaper price :P. Pls tell me!!! heheheh have a great holiday with family!

Lilian said...

LadyB: Wish I knew the name of the other supplier. The new supplier tried to entice me to take a look at what they had to offer, but a B&B rep quickly whisked me away. Here's hoping more suppliers come on-stream so uniform prices won't be so darn expensive.

Elan said...

Its called Finest Fashion. The address on my son's shirt label says Beauty World Centre (B1-03).
Hope that helps.

Domesticgoddess said...

Hi Lilian, I wish you and your boys all the very best wishes for the new year. Thank you so much for being so encouraging and all your kind and sound advices this year.

Lilian said...

Happy New Year to you and all your boys too, DG. I haven't really dispense much advice this year haha, but thanks. May 2010 be a wonderful one for all of us :)