Friday, November 13, 2009

Fingers' crossed...

...that my internet woes are finally over.

Ever since I returned to Moscow about a month ago, I've been having trouble with my internet service. Being an internet addict of the highest degree, you can imagine what torture it is not having a reliable internet line. Sometimes it would be okay, most times I wait for long, long seconds and then realise the page won't be loading ever. Surfing with such uncertainty was such a pain.

A Russian-speaking technical support staff came by the first week I was back. As luck would have it, the internet never acts up when tech help is around, does this strange phenomenon only ever happen to me?! So Russian tech guy declares to English tech guy that I speak to over the phone that all is A-okay, no problem at all with the line. But once he left, my problem returned. Super frustrating.

This evening, Victor, one of two English-speaking tech support I had been complaining to (the other being Maxim) finally made his way over and after some investigation, apparently, resolved the problem.

I still didn't feel too optimistic that the internet wouldn't act up the moment he left. I only felt more reassured and confident that this chap really knew what he was doing cos while making small talk before he left, I asked if he worked mostly in the office, or if he made 'house-calls' all day as tech support. Victor looked at me and said, "Actually, I'm the Chief Engineer." Ohhh...

Well, fingers' crossed, so far (been 5 hours) so good.

10 comments:

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

So I have been quite lucky to be able to keep in touch with u via FB these days!
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Phone line and internet were down. The Korean guy came to fix them. Luckily there was nothing much I needed to say because the problem was obvious. He went in and out of the house several times and was on the phone too. Finally both worked! When I called to tell dh the good news, dh asked me "What did he say? What was the problem?
I told dh "Ya... as if I would understand!!??" LOL!

Lilian said...

Your DH bothered to ask what the problem was! For us, as long as it's resolved, I don't care what the problem was, even if they had explained to me I wouldn't have understood.

Such a relief, this morning the line is still working very well.

Hsien Lei said...

Chief Schmief. It's all a crap shoot. ;) Glad I've been able to continue chatting with you, though. xo

Lilian said...

Haha...actually when he came I did think he looked a lot more well-dressed than the other tech support that had been here before.

Problem may or may not have returned this morning, a bit slow here and there, or maybe I have very high expectations.

monlim said...

Hahaha, I'm sure it must be frustrating with the internet connection interfering with Mouse Hunt!!! Amazingly, you still seem to be able to put in lots of hours in the game leh... does the pc break down at 15 minute intervals? LOL

Lilian said...

LOL! You have no idea how many times I cursed the PC, what will happen is I sound the horn, and the horn will just blow blow blow indefinitely but nothing happens. Sometimes the page freezes! Then gotta close the browser and re-open, which may or may not help. Anyway, I don't think the problem has gone away completely, just not as bad as before.

elan said...

Oh is that why you haven't posted anything on your blog for so long?
Missed reading it leh!
I'm glad to see that you seem to be making up for lost time.

elan

Lilian said...

Hey Elan, been quiet partly cos of internet woes, partly cos of winter woes...this time of the year all I ever wanna do is curl up under the duvet and hibernate all day. It must be a fun time over at your side, exam's over and holidays start soon!

elan said...

Yes, after the exams for the first 2 weeks all they have been doing was just watch movies in school and play board games. Last week, the Chinese teacher treated the class to a movie 2012 at GV Plaza Singapura plus popcorn at her own expense and in her own time (6pm), tomorrow, another teacher is renting a futsal pitch in the afternoon and bringing them to play against last year's P6 GE boys.
They are blessed to have such caring teachers. School Carnival just over too.

elan

Lilian said...

Wahhh, the Chinese teacher is so generous, that's a lot of money! She's their form teacher right? She seems really nice. I guess the one who booked the futsal place is their Science teacher? The boys are blessed with really caring and fun-loving teachers.