Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And we're back in Moscow!

Feels good to be home. We were living out of our suitcases for almost 4.5 months. I noticed Sean skipping along in a very upbeat mood the moment we arrived in Domodedovo Airport. As we walked towards the arrival hall, I turned to Brian and said, "Imagine if we're actually walking towards the airplane now, on our way to Singapore, and the past 4 months never happened! Imagine these past months had just been a dream, and PSLE is not over! Imagine that." We laughed. I added, "Even worse, imagine you don't actually have your DSA offer yet." Arrrggghhhh, just thinking about this sent unimaginable chills through our spines!

And then Sean said, "Imagine that all the years since you were born never happened. Imagine that!"

I pondered, "Hmmm, I wouldn't mind that. If I knew all the things I knew now, there would be many things I'd do differently." Quietly, I was thinking of timing the stockmarket based on what I knew and becoming a trillionaire, hehe, but I didn't say this to the kids cos before I could, Brian jumped in with, "No, you can't change anything. You have to do the exact same thing, if you had tripped over a rock, you'd have to trip over the exact same rock. Otherwise your whole future will be changed."

Okay, so maybe I won't be a trillionaire, but just for discussion's sake, I told them that based on what I know now, if I had to live my life again, thinking back of my rebellious teenage years, I said, "I think I would understand my parents more, I would be less unreasonable, I would be less reckless and I would definitely make a whole lot less mistakes." Wasn't trying to psycho my soon-to-be teenager in any way, that was just how I feel.

But as Brian said, we can't change things, can we? It did get me thinking about how I'd look back at the me of today twenty years from now. Would I wish I had done things a lot more differently? I really hope not...

11 comments:

monlim said...

Wah, such a profound conversation after a long flight! I would've imagined you guys to be bleary-eyed and zombified...

If I had to do everything the same again, I wouldn't want to go back! Where got fun liddat? Not knowing what's going to happen is part of the excitement of life. But some things like DSA, I'd rather not be kept in suspense - heart can't take it!!

Lilian said...

We all managed to get some rest during the flight so not really zombified.

Yalah, if have to do the same again, no point going back, for some things, it'll be like knowing you're headed for a car crash, and still going full-speed ahead! BOOMZ!

DSA suspense was the worst...MAJOR STRESS!

tjmummy said...

Hi! I thought you were back in Sg for good! So how long more do you have in Moscow?

Lilian said...

Dunno how long more in Moscow, there's no fixed term. When are you headed back to Sg, TJmummy?

tjmummy said...

I am back already! Hopefully back for good. I am renovating our flat now, cos I think we are back for good, but hubby says we never know.

We've a baby on the way, so I hope to at least stay put in Sg for the next 2 yrs!

Alcovelet said...

Sounds like Moscow IS home for the kids! Or more accurately, anywhere outside of Singapore is home while they're still in school I suppose ;).

Rest up, kiao kar, relak. Winter is coming!

Lilian said...

TJmummy: Congrats on the new addition! I read your blog, you're welcoming a princess, so nice :) Yup, with a baby around, hope you get to stay put in Singapore for a while more.

Ad: Home is where the heart is, only thing is this heart is likes to wander all over the world. Wish I could Kiao Kar, but over here, I'm full-time maid/slave, cannot kiao kar!

Syed Danial said...

welcome back :)

Lilian said...

Thanks Danial. Nice weather this week...snow may come next week...brrrr....

Syed Danial said...

snow is expecting to come next week eh.looking forward to it :).oh ya.u just missed the hari raya open house at the embassy by a few weeks

Lilian said...

I know! My husband went for the open house. To think I missed out on all the delicious rendang, sambal udang, ketupat, serunding, aduhhhhh, pains my heart! Happy Belated Aidil Fitri to you :)