Friday, September 11, 2009

Music to my ears

This is my friend May and her 12-year old boy Kant doing what they do every single day, practise the piano. That's a brand new Yamaha grand piano (special artist edition), and beside this piano, is a 100-year old Steinway grand. Besides these two pianos, there are 3 more upright pianos in the house. May agrees when people say she's piano-crazy :) Well, behind every successful pianist, is a dedicated, focussed and crazy-in-a-good-way mum right?



I love listening to Kant play, his fingers move like magic. My digital camera video funtion doesn't capture the sound so well, but here are a few pieces that he is working on now.

Chopin Etude Op10 No8


I don't know the title of this next piece, but it's supposed to have Gnome in the title, someone help me out here. Okay, got it, the title is Liszt Gnomenreigen.


And the final piece is La Campanella, which May says is about 75% of what it should be for performance-readiness. Geez, she sure has high expectations.


Kant's youtube link here.

10 comments:

monlim said...

WOW!!!! Amazing talent. To such kids, practising is not work, I'm guessing! And the grand piano looks absolutely gorgeous. I guess her home must be a mansion to be able to take all those pianos!

Lilian said...

haha, you're guessing wrong :) Kant is your regular kid, he still can't wait to get out to play Wii, go on the computer, watch tv, etc...

Not a mansion, but other stuff makes way for pianos...guess it's about where one's priority is :) For May, it's PIANO, PIANO, PIANO!

Syed Danial said...

oh my god.he is so talented! :)
im jealous.haha.and by the way, i cant watch the last video.it said that it is a private video :)

Lilian said...

Thanks Danial, I've changed it to public, try again and see if it works now.

Yeah, he's really talented, he won many competitions in Russia. I've added his youtube link in my post.

clarabella said...

I was just watching the videos when my 6yo walked in, attracted by all that music. I opened my mouth and he immediately ran out yelling, "I know, I know, gotta practise!"

Wow, that is one very talented kid. Talent makes a lot of difference hehehe. My kids moan and groan whenever I so much as glance at our one-and-only (your friend has five?!!) piano...

Lilian said...

Haha your 6-year old so 'kuai', knows when to practise. You should watch the videos more often :)

Yup, talent is important, and goes hand-in-hand with hard work...one without the other and you are unlikely to get results like this.

Anonymous said...

My count is that she has more than 5 pianos...I believe 1-2 more in Moscow? LOL

The child is definitely very impressive talent.

qx

Lilian said...

:) They've moved back to Thailand, so have their two upright Moscow pianos.

Anonymous said...

OMG! His finger is flying on the keyboard! Amazing!!

And the grand pianos....*envy*

Chris

Lilian said...

Flying is a most apt description. Talk about tickling the ivories!