Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bangkok morning market

On Sunday morning, I tagged along with May to the market. It's a smallish market. Here are some pictures from there.





These fish have been steamed, and back home, they'll be deep fried, it's some kind of Thai dish. We had this for dinner one night.




Does this picture remind anyone else of synchronised swimming? :P


Lots of food to be bought by the main road at the entrance to the market. May told me what this was but I don't remember now.


Peanuts.


Some kind of candy?


Ooooh, yummy grilled wings and satay-like pork, usually eaten with sticky rice.


When we were driving towards the market, I saw these being grilled, and thought it strange that a local market would be selling Bratwurst (German sausage). Only when I got nearer did I realise they were grilling bananas!


There were 2 pairs of monks sitting on chairs by the road. People would buy food and offer them to the monks while kneeling on the mats.




Inside the market are plenty of food stalls, this one caught my eye. It's like your economical rice stall in Singapore but the variety here is mouth-wateringly amazing.







How to resist? This was Breakfast No2, and it was mighty goooood!

15 comments:

Hsien Lei said...

Your pictures and posts about this holiday are AMAZING. Any tummyaches? Not just from overeating but from...ya know. My biggest fear. :P

Lilian said...

LOL! Thanks...my Malaccan-trained tummy was fine throughout...but the furthest I ventured with streetfood was from this market, I didn't eat anything from the road-side stalls in the city.

You should probably stick to restaurant fare :)

Lilian said...

The boys had grilled chicken wings and satay-pork and they were fine too :)

Anonymous said...

Lilian, I am sure the Thailand tourist promotion board would love to download your fantastic photographs taken to help them promote tourism to Thailand. Your pictures come alive from your photography...look at the fruits! Why do I keep feeling I need a holiday?

qx

Lilian said...

Oh shoot, then maybe I shouldn't have deleted all the photos from my hard drive right after blogging! :)

Thanks QX, yeah, you should go for a break, it does wonders to your soul.

Anonymous said...

Errr...school just started today...I am even more rooted than ever!! LOL.

I try to take a holiday in my dreams first. :)

qx

Lilian said...

Where are you going tonight? Maybe I can meet you there ;)

Anonymous said...

ok ok now you can be my tour guide for Thailand, I start with the morning market first, then go and take the colourful taxis to do some river shopping... see ya! Don't forget your camera!! LOL

qx

Lilian said...

LOL! I still don't know my way around Bangkok lah. Nvm, I skyped my friend May and she'll bring you around, but you try to go to sleep 1 hour later, cos BKK is 1 hour behind us :) Have a great time! I think I'll go to Japan tonight :P

Anonymous said...

Wah you go Japan...ok I will content with Thailand for now...especially if there is a guide... LOL..

Sweet dreams and don't leave without your camera! :)

qx

Lilian said...

Bon Voyage!

Anonymous said...

LOL...guess what? I did go somewhere last night...but my brain wire went off tangent a little, instead of Thailand, I went to Taiwan, celebrating CNY! Bwaaaaaah.. How was Japan?

qx

Lilian said...

Taiwan?? haha, I've never been there...

Didn't manage to make it to Japan, or if I did, I don't remember. Slept too soundly!

Krit said...

Did you miss thai food but I miss you so much while watched this.

Lilian said...

I miss Thai food, but miss you even more! I had the best time in Bangkok darling, THANKS TO YOU!