Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Good news and Bad news

Took the boys to the dentist yesterday, their first visit since last summer. The good news was that neither of them has a cavity. To protect against decay however, the dentist used sealants on Brian's permanent molars.



See how tense Sean looks here. Sean's milk teeth are all still intact and he turns 7 in 10 days. A few are already shaky. One lower permanent tooth is growing behind a milk tooth. The bad news is he has big teeth growing where his currently very tiny teeth are. Result: Crooked teeth. The dentist took an x-ray and we could see huge teeth trying to find their way out. Chances are he'll need braces when he's older. :(

6 comments:

monlim said...

Milk teeth late to drop, tiny milk teeth, giant permanent teeth. Sean's situation sounds exactly like Andre's!! Sigh... yes, braces are inevitable. The silver lining for me is Andre has already told me he's game for them, the vain pot that he is! Unlike his chicken older sister...

Lilian said...

I thought of Andre when the dentist described Sean's situation to me. I asked hopefully, "really ah? must wear braces? any chance no need?" He replied, "99% chance have to!" arrrrggghhhhh! I said, "Can I pay you today's prices first?" :) One of my sons better be a dentist, yesterday's visit cost me $450!! And that's with no cavities...pengsan!

Alcovelet said...

Gasp. No hole in the teeth but hole in the pocket.

Ok, bad joke. But I also kena here. You've alerted me to something - RK's new permanent tooth at the front is giant and very crooked. And of course, the space vacated by the milk tooth is small. But if Andre also has this problem, maybe this is a problem for all young kids until their faces/mouths grow big enough to accommodate, no? How was it for Brian and Lesley-Ann?

Lilian said...

haha...gotta tickle my own feet to force that bitter laughter out :P

Brian? Cannot really remember. I think he also went through ugly duckling big-teeth stage, but he never had a tooth grow behind his milk tooth.

Sean panicked and started groaning and whining when he heard what the dentist said about braces. His x-ray was quite an eye-opener, can see all his future permanent teeth, seriously, they all look so big compared to his current tiny teeth!

monlim said...

Ad, Lesley-Anne never had such small milk teeth even though she too has large permanent teeth (and overlap too, so need braces!! Aiyoh, $$$ x2, there goes 2 holidays...) I think it's because our 3 little ones have something in common - they're all diminuitive in size! Small for their age, so small mouths. Not compatible with big teeth :(

Alcovelet said...

Aiyo sudah lah, Mon. Money's definitely flying out of OUR pockets :(.