Monday, July 06, 2009

Most ON Teacher Award!...

...has got to go to Sean's form teacher, Ms T. Today's a school holiday (Youth Day yesterday) so I assume teachers are on holiday too. At 10+ in the morning, I received a call from Ms T. She listed out all the items that Sean needs to bring in tomorrow. She probably realises I'm not the most conscientious person, as I am still sorting out all the things that Sean needs for school. I felt like a kid, cos she was reminding me, don't forget this, don't forget that, and also this, and that :) It's really kind and thoughtful of her cos she knows that Sean's mini-meltdowns usually occur when he finds out that he doesn't have the items that his classmates have.

She was really positive about Sean, saying I have to give him a pat on the back about something, and how well he's doing considering he's been in school for just 5 days. She was confident that he'll get much better as days go by and he learns more about how everything is done.

Whenever I mentioned something negative about Sean, she'll counter it by saying, aiyah, bad handwriting? You haven't seen how bad other kids' handwriting is. When I said, sorry, he hasn't had much practice with doing real work in school, cos in Moscow, his school is play play all day, she replies, yes, you see, play play is also good, very good. Really positive vibes I get from her. She did add that in future, I'll have to teach Sean to fight back cos there are 'wicked' kids around :) LOL! I said my kids won't know how to fight back, the only thing they can do is ignore. "Ohhh, but you have to teach him how to fight back..." "How?" "That you cannot ask me lah, you have to find out yourself." Just too funny.

Have I been away too long? I don't remember Brian's teachers in Singapore being so ON and positive. In fact, Brian's P1 teacher (in another Singapore school), during our parent-teacher-meeting, was going all out to find something negative to say about him, maybe to sound constructive (NOT!), "You can see his results for yourself, I have nothing much to say, everything's very good." *silence*...followed by, "But hor, he's very messy hor?..."

So is Ms T the exception or the rule these days? Singapore's education system is highly stressful, so it is really a blessing (and a huge relief to me) that Sean was placed with such a dedicated and understanding teacher. Thank You GOD!!

14 comments:

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

Lilian, u have to teach me the part on "how to fight back" too. I realised my ds is hopeless in this area. Whenever he plays with other boys and when they get rough, he doesn't know how to respond! Even as he kicked and splashed water to his friend in the pool, he told me he was afraid that he might kick the boy, so he was rather careful. In the end, he was the one with a bruised lip. Haiz...

Lilian said...

Sorryle, I'm hopeless in this area. My kids have yet to come back with bruised lip or black eye, so I reckon they've managed to avoid the rough kids. But there were a few times I was around them after school that I saw kids being quite in-their-face intimidating, but the boys didn't seem to notice, only I did. I stared daggers at those kids, but when I Iater asked Brian/Sean, they said they didn't notice. Sometimes it's a blessing to be blur I guess. And Sean isn't exactly a pushover either, I've seen him do rascally things to others at his school playground in Moscow.

In this case, I don't think the teacher is talking about rough kids or playground battles. She's referring to nasty kids who are out to get a reaction from other kids, their aggression may not be physical, but verbal and emotional, which is probably worse. Like I told the teacher, I wouldn't know how to teach my kids to fight back, be it physically or verbally. The boys only know how to physically whack each other, not outsiders. While verbal tit-for-tat just seems so petty and girlish to me. Most likely, Sean will ignore lah, he's got a thicker skin than his brother, and he doesn't quite care what others think of him anyway. If he comes back and tells me he feels hurt, I guess I'll just have to go beat the kid up myself :P

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

LOL! I like your last part!
Teasing is bullying too! Ds has no problem "yet" with that. He just ignores or sometimes he can even come out with something witty/ or he is not bothered. It's the physical type of aggression that he has problem with cos of his small size.
Sean is fortunate to have such a "ON" teacher! Yay!
S

Lilian said...

A friend who wishes to be anonymous emailed me this, it's just too funny.

When her kid was 6 and overseas, he was always bullied. His father's advice was this, "Next time someone hit you, hit him back and then run back and complain to the teacher that 'he hit me'. Not a good thing to teach kid, but guess it the asian kiasu way."

LOL!! Anyone wants to try this? :)

Hsien said...

I think ignoring bullies (but also informing teachers and principals) is the best way to go. When victims give bullies any kind of attention, they're giving them power.

You're lucky Sean and Brian are so calm and collected.

monlim said...

Wah, you very lucky ah! That's a fantastic teacher Sean has. It's great to have such a positive experience esp when he's new to the SG system - can be quite a culture shock! Having a good teacher is still luck of the draw, like touching 4D like that. Great to know Sean is getting a fabulous start! Maybe after this, he wouldn't want to go back to Moscow, hehe...

Lilian said...

Good advice Hsien, thanks.

Mon: It's not like he's super enjoying schooling here lah. Just that with this teacher, it's less traumatic in the early days!

breve1970 said...

Lilian, I am sooooo happy for Sean to have such a great teacher like Ms T. She will help him adjust in no time.

How come they don't have more teachers like that ah?

Sandy, I can't wait to meet your kids. They sound very good natured like Sean and Brian:).

Lilian said...

Thanks Ann :) Are you planning to meet up with Sandy?

breve1970 said...

I hope so, Lilian. Is she back? Just emailed her a few days ago.

I have been trying to upload the Bintan photos and don't know what happened... can't seem to get them up... Ugh!

Nevermind, will try to sort it out.

Lilian said...

I don't think she's back yet. Don't even know if she'll be back this summer. Small world right? I only realised she was your friend from FB.

breve1970 said...

Yaya.. a small world indeed. :).

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

Harlo! Didn't know u all are talking abt me over here :) Yup.. really small world! Finally confirmed the dates to be back for a short visit if not the kids will sure complain! :P Ann... I still know u as Catherine leh. Remember how the class used to call u by your full name in Chinese?
Sandy

breve1970 said...

Yalah... so embarrassing... the Chinese name in full... yikes...

Catherine Ann is the given name but my parents, relatives and most friends call me 'Ann" .. Long story. Hahahha... must catch up when you get back.