Friday, May 22, 2009

Guitar Lesson No 15

Remember Brian's guitar playing of Blackbird a month plus ago? Five weeks and five lessons later, this is where he is now. Some parts are a bit rushed but on the whole, the speed is just about right.



Brian actually played the guitar and sang this song for his school's non-competitive talent show 3 days ago (he wanted to join on his own accord, I actually tried to dissuade him). I'll write about his experience in another post. His guitar teacher Alexander was beaming with pride when he came this evening, that Brian was brave enough to give his first performance. Alexander is a sweet and super supportive teacher, I just adore him.

These are videos of Brian playing with Alexander. First up is Blackbird with Alexander playing the melody. Please ignore Brian's terribly torn jeans (should I even try mending it?).



Next up is Spanish Ballad, one of the first songs Brian learnt. He's yet to master it after 4 months, having trouble with the nylon strings in this lauyah guitar. Alexander has been telling me I need to get him a new guitar asap with metal strings as this one isn't good enough anymore.



This is a Blues number which I really enjoy listening to. First learnt a few weeks ago.



My favourite song to listen to from my room while lessons are going on is this one from Shrek called Royal Pain, mainly cos the melody is played so beautifully by Alexander. Can't wait for Brian to learn the melody.



The last video is the latest song that Alexander introduced to Brian. It's Lionel Richie's Hello which honestly, I find really dreary. Alex loves it though. The video only has about half the song, the rest of the playing by Brian was just too disjointed.



In the Hello video, Brian is playing on Alexander's Ovation guitar, which is really expensive. The sound coming out is however, really different from what comes out when Brian plays Hello on his cheapo guitar.

There are a couple of other songs that Brian's learning from Alexander, one is the theme song from Godfather and the other is The Beatles' Lady Madonna which I really like too.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian is so talented and growing to be so handsome!

daphne said...

WOW!!!! I'm drooling! That is BRILLIANT!

Brian is going to be SO POPULAR! Charming boy with brain & looks & can play the instrument so well. Boy, even I can't get enough.

Besides Alexander, the whole family must be beaming with pride too!

Well done, Brian.

monlim said...

That's excellent progress! I love Blackbird. So Brian's all ready to charm the girls eh? Not that he needs the guitar to do so, hehe...

Lilian said...

:) Thanks Anon and Daphne.

His guitar teacher on a few occasions smiled knowingly at me and said "oh he's going to be very popular in school, trust me", as if that's the aim of learning guitar LOL! Maybe it is for some of the boys here, but Brian is totally oblivious to this popularity stuff, he's more likely to be playing it for mummy's enjoyment than for the girls...at least for some years more (that's what I hope!).

Lilian said...

Missed your comment Mon! Thanks, coming from music aficionado like you, that's something. Must show Brian :)

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

Wow! Romance de Amore. Don't pray pray. Way to go Brian!!!
S

Lilian said...

Thanks Sandy :)

Y'know, I'm always telling him, when you play, try to feel the music, feel it. He'll just give me this annoyed look, and say, "That's not helping me, Mummy."

Alcovelet said...

Lovely music, Brian!

Lilian, Brian's definitely already a popular boy - he's soulful, smart, and even has the tattered jeans to go with the entire package.

You sure he's playing for you and the family? Hehe.

Lilian said...

Thanks Adeline. The tattered jeans never change for days one leh, girls see also scared! Run far2 :P

Anonymous said...

..wow, woW, WOW!!! Well done, Brian!!! You have got the talent, the Charm & the brain!!!

Chris

Lilian said...

Brian says Thank You to all the aunties.

breve1970 said...

Oooh... a handsome dude who's not only very very bright but extremely musically inclined! The best part about Brian is that he's oblivious to all the attention that he's getting! Well done, my boy!

Want to get to know my daughters... LOL! Drool :)!

Lilian said...

Haha, your daughters too young lah...I've got a younger boy though, but that one big rascal...and instead of oblivious, he's obnoxious! hehe...

breve1970 said...

Can lah... hope he doesn't find my daughters boring... the older one can talk to Sean about Murderous Math, I think.

The younger one... will drive him up the wall, asking him loads of nonsensical questions. Heehee...

Lilian said...

Hayley sounds like she's a lot of fun to be around :) Does she annoy Hannah with her questions or is Hannah the patient big sister?

breve1970 said...

Hannah is not at all patient towards her younger sister. She complains that Hayley doesn't listen to nor respect her. Haha.

Thiago said...

Post interesting.
Without doubt, Ovation Guitar is one of the best guitars available in the market today. I have some at home, I pertecem since I started my band (the garage!), But is following me. Today we have 15 years of road, and always on the side of my Ovation Guitar.
The latter bought a site with many interesting offers (I'l leave the link for you guys: http://bit.ly/nKC7F ). Today, my last purchase on this site was a Custom Elite, for a great price!
Well, so what! Hugs!