Thursday, May 14, 2009

Caretta Caretta

Look what I found in Sean's bag recently.



It's a lovely cloth bookmark from Turkey. I don't check his bag often so I have no idea how long the bookmark's been in there. When I asked him, he said his teacher Miss Cheung, gave it to him a couple of weeks back.

When I emailed Miss Cheung to thank her, she said she immediately thought of Sean when she saw this. Sean's tortoise/turtle-obsession is obviously well known even in school, not just cos of this, but also because in class, he writes lots of illustrated stories with a tortoise as the main character, which make his classmates laugh lots.

At first, ignoramus me thought that Caretta Caretta was a place in Turkey, Wikipedia tells me it's actually the Latin name for Loggerhead Sea Turtle. Caretta Caretta live, feed and nest in the Mediterranean, mostly on the beaches of Turkey and Greece.

Here's a closer look at the Caretta Caretta -- lovely :)

7 comments:

monlim said...

What a thoughtful teacher Sean has! Not many teachers will do that for their individual students. And it's a lovely bookmark, the stitching is so intricate.

Lilian said...

Yeah, his teacher this year is new to Moscow and seems very enthusiastic. She's great with little kindergartners, the kids love her.

breve1970 said...

Yes... what a thoughtful and inspiring teacher! Another Asian in Moscow too :)!

Anonymous said...

That's really sweet of this teacher.

Chris

Lilian said...

She's Asian on the outside but entirely American otherwise. Typical Californian beach babe :)

breve1970 said...

How exotic! California beach babe type Asian living in Moscow!

frank said...

Hello, I stumbled on this blog by accident. If you're ever in Japan again do visit the Caretta shopping mall in Shiodome for green tea deserts! My friends and I never knew why Caretta's mascot was a tortoise :(