Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sean's first time rollerblading

Spring is really here. So yesterday, I dug out Brian's old pair of in-line skates and had Sean give them a try. Thanks to his ice-skating lessons in school, he is actually able to rollerblade immediately. This is a video I took today of Sean rollerblading, he looks tipsy, like he's had too much to drink, BUT trust me, this is wayyyyy better than how Brian fared 4 years ago.   The boys are not the sportiest kids around.



I bought these skates for Brian in spring of 2005 (from this fantastic shop in Frankfurt called Lidl, for only 30Euro maybe), but he wasn't able to rollerblade despite all my cajoling and pushing. So I am really happy that the boys got something out of the school's ice-skating classes.

Brian has asked that I buy him a new pair asap and I'm now thinking if I should invest in two good pairs of rollerblades for them. My friend May says the expensive rollerblades make a world of difference...but jeez, they are really expensive.

While it's gonna be hard parting with money, I think even harder would be finding a kid's helmet big enough for Sean's head :P

11 comments:

breve1970 said...

Wow.. Sean rollerblades so well. Hayley and I are up watching some of your videos including "Pi".:)

Lilian said...

Rollerblading is apparently easier than ice-skating. It's nice to see the kids do stuff that I can't do :)

Hi Hayley, you're up early, Jie2 sleeping?

monlim said...

Hey, that's so cool! Never let my kids try roller blading. Is it anything like roller skating? Cos I find that very difficult.

Lilian said...

It's easier than roller skating. I tried roller-skating when I was younger, couldn't do it, tried roller-blading after NUS, couldn't either, but better than roller-skating. Keep falling and my palms were all blue-black.

I think kids learn faster, Andre will probably zoom off immediately, he's so fearless.

Alcovelet said...

That's so cool! Way to go, Sean! We tried, but the skates were so heavy (at least the one that we borrowed) that my little kacang couldn't lift up his legs! Anyway, he's really scared because he doesn't have the control he wants. I loved roller skating, but for me, roller blading involves some sense of balance which I don't have a lot of, so, it's probably not our sport!

monlim said...

When I tried roller skating, it was so comical, I don't think I ever left the side of the rink! Could barely stand up without the skates just swooshing up beneath me, so comical.

I think Andre will pick it up quickly too but don't think we'll ever try cos it's so expensive :P

Lilian said...

Adeline: If you can roller-skate, I don't see why you can't roller-blade. With roller-skates, like Mon, I could hardly stand, let alone move. But I have no problem standing on roller-blades, it's the moving that's an issue :)

Mon: I think we have heavy bottoms, that's why keep falling :P

monlim said...

LOL Speak for yourself lah! No lah, what heavy bottoms, we're taller so our centre of gravity higher, harder to balance mah... (consoling myself)

Alcovelet said...

Um, I thought I'm taller than you, Mon. :D

Cho cho only hah ...

Anonymous said...

Sean skates well for 1st timer! My older gal took an hour to learn. My hb used to be good in roller skating, during his younger days. Me...I tried once, but couldn't balance at all, fell until my pantat pain....gave up. Haven't let my younger gal try yet, she just learnt how to cycled on 2 wheels early this year.

Chris

Chris

Lilian said...

Only 1 hour? Wow, that's fast. Sean is able to skate only cos of the many ice-skating lessons he's had. Otherwise, I don't think he'd ever be able to rollerblade.

My husband can also roller-skate very well, so I think he should be able to roller-blade too.