Thursday, April 16, 2009

Guitar Lesson No 10

Last year, I was told by a couple of mothers about this wonderful Russian guitar teacher, Alexander, who was giving their boys lessons. I was very interested but this teacher's slots were all full. It was only when Minako, my Japanese friend, left Moscow at the end of last year that her boy Dennis' slot became available.

So Brian started his weekly lessons (an hour each week) after we returned to Moscow from winter break this year. He's really enjoyed lessons with Alexander, who is such an encouraging teacher. To mark Brian's 10th lesson with Alexander today, I've recorded him playing The Beatles' Blackbird.



When I asked Eddie if I should post this video, he said Nolah, Lau Kui...ie lose face. Seelah, he's seriously the most "Si Ai Bin" (die2 want face) person I know. But I know what he means, cos there are so many kids out there playing so much better music, but Brian wanted me to post this up, and I think he did a pretty good job for a beginner. So even if Lau Kui, so be it, as long as he keeps at it and enjoys it, I'll post it if he wants me to.

This next video Brian didn't want me to post, but Sean really insisted, even though the one who looks amazingly silly in the video and who should feel Lau Kui is Sean. Anyway, Sean really enjoys listening to Brian and always goes, "Encore! Encore!" Here he is putting his own Yabba Dubba spin and spoiling my recording of Brian playing Spanish Ballad (first song he learnt from Alexander). Yes, Sean is this silly all the time, and he's been playing with the yellow slinky non-stop (even takes it to school) since we returned from Singapore. That's me snorting right before Brian says Should I continue?, as I tried really hard to stop laughing.



There's something rather romantic about guys with acoustic guitars; I hope Brian's guitar (maybe not this particular cheapo one) follows him wherever he goes and gives him comfort on days when he's feeling down or alone. Yeah, yeah, I am thinking Jason Castro hehe...

...and maybe even Johnny Depp who once said, "My first guitar was a real cheap little electric thing my mom bought me for twenty-five bucks. From then on I don't remember puberty, I was just playing guitar."

Yes son, go lock yourself in your room, play your guitar, and may puberty zoom by leaving both of us (especially me) unscathed. If only...

18 comments:

monlim said...

Where got lau kwee? Black Bird is very nice! I just love that song. The guitar is so versatile and such a social instrument, you can bring it around and everyone will start singing. Like cannot carry a piano with you right, and whip out a violin, either people will laugh at you or think you're so atas. But the guitar, aiyoh, so romantic some more!

Btw, this is the first time I heard Brian's voice since it changed. He sounds so grownup! And you know, Lilian, he looks EXACTLY like you, especially his laugh and gestures.

Lilian said...

LOL! I didn't know I laughed like Scooby Doooo.....really ah?

Guys with guitars...sigh...so romantic...as long as they don't get moody and melancholic all day, wah pengsan!

Once Brian answered the phone and all the while he was talking to my mum, she thought it was Eddie, she just couldn't believe it was Brian talking.

Lilian said...

I first heard the song sung by Carly Smithson and her gothic eyeliner on American Idol last year. So awful.

Only now that I'm hearing how it's oringally sung by Paul McCartney that I appreciate how gorgeous the song is. Poignant and simple. Really beautiful.

Baoying said...

That's so sweet! Funny enough Vig asked me recently if your boys any play musical instruments. He thinks they will be very deft, judging by their mad math skills. I love Blackbird too, try the version done by Sarah MacLauchlan (I am Sam soundtrack).

Lilian said...

Thanks Bao. Being deft has more to do with motor skills and coordination right? What does Vig play, he looks like such a romantic sort, probably guitar?

Hsien Lei said...

ENCORE! ENCORE!

Lilian said...

LOL! You sound just like Sean!

monlim said...

Actually, I agree with Bao, the Sarah McLachlan version is very nice. I think you should check out this artiste, since you like the gentle, non-shouty, new age type of songs. Watch this video of her Ordinary Miracle - it's L-A's absolute favourite song on her handphone.

monlim said...

Did I leave the link? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urv7tyeJ7qE

Lilian said...

Thanks for the link. Yes, Sarah McLachlan has a really soothing, beautiful voice that conveys meanings of songs in a way that touches hearts deeply.

I'm not so much New Age, more into folksy. Just realised many of the artistes I like have names starting with J, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, Jim Morrison, Jason Castro :), and they're all male, me and my bias hehe.

Is it me or does Sarah McLachlahan give off the same vibe as the singers of "I've never been to me" and "Moonlight Shadow"? I'm child of the 80s lah.

Alcovelet said...

Just 10 lessons and he can play like that? Not bad leh. I used to love the fiery sound of Gypsy King - gorgeous! Somehow, I missed out on how soulful guitar music can sound too.

This Sean is a clown lah. I've never met Brian, but he's definitely moved on into the next stage of maturity. And perhaps with him playing such soulful music, he definitely strikes me as a young man now.

Lilian said...

10 rather expensive lessons.

Brian's changed a lot in the past year. Slowly losing my baby *sniff* The next few years are gonna be rough.

breve1970 said...

Brian strums and plays really well after only 10 lessons. Hayley watched it over and over again for about 10 times. Asked her why and she simply said "because Gor Gor is very good and the song is very nice too..".. hmmm...mmm I can't agree more.

Lilian said...

Brian says Thanks to Auntie Ann and little Hayley :)

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Bravo! *Clap* *Clap* *Clap*

For 10 lessons & he is palying really well!!

Chris

Lilian said...

Thanks for the encouragement Chris :)

daphne said...

WOW! Encore!

Lilian said...

Thanks Daphne :)