Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Books for (my) Boys

Okay, for those with boys, these are books your kids might like. Most of these are Brian's books, Sean reads very little fiction. Where available, I've provided links to the books' website so you can find out more if you want. Brian's reading is limited to a few genres so check this excellent site for links to more authors of other books for boys; the site was recommended by blog reader Sandy (Thanks!).

Brian has just finished reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan; there are 4 books in all, 1) Lightning Thief 2) Sea of Monsters 3) Titan's Curse 4) Battle of the Labyrinth, a 5th (The Last Olympian) will be released next month, . Half-blood demi-God Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon, fights Kronos, the evil Titan King, who's out to destroy the Greek Gods.



One of Brian's favourite reads is The Eragon series, 1) Eragon 2) Eldest 3) Brisingr, the author Christopher Paolini is writing a 4th one, title yet to be revealed. A kind of review by Brian here.



Brian bought the book on the left, Saving the world and other extreme sports, by James Patterson at his school's bookfair last year and he started on MaximumRide: The Final Warning today. Very much a boy's book, I wouldn't have given it a passing glance looking at the cover.



There are 6 books in the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer that Brian liked a lot earlier last year; not in any particular order they are 1)Artemis Fowl 2)The Eternity Code 3)The Arctic Incident, 4)The Opal Deception 5)The Time Paradox 6)The Lost Colony.



Brian found the book Flyte, part of the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage in his teacher's classroom library in late 2007 and liked it enough to beg me to buy him the other books he had not read when we were in Singapore that Christmas. Four books in the series 1) Magyk 2)Flyte 3)Physik 4)Queste.



Three books in the His Dark Material trilogy by Philip Pullman, he's misplaced The Amber Spyglass, shown here are Northern Lights and Subtle Knife. These books look new cos they've been read just once. Haven't been re-read till they have dog ears so probably not a favourite.



Finally, books of good literary standing? Or maybe he likes them for narcissistic reasons, the protagonist shares his name. Following up on the popular award-winning book Hatchet, Gary Paulsen continues the Brian Saga series with Brian's Winter and Brian's Return.



Peter Pan, not by J.M. Barrie, but someone with a similar last name, famous humour columnist Dave Barry trying his hand at writing children's literature. Brian read this when he was in London, and I now see it's actually a trilogy. We have two of the three books, Peter and the Shadowthieves and Peter and the Starcatchers.



The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is liked VERY much by both Brian and Sean. Sean actually chose one of these as an impromptu Christmas present when we were in MPH last year (it was really close to Christmas and I hadn't bought them presents yet). We bought the 2nd book later. And this last trip back, they begged me to buy the 3rd instalment when they saw it in Borders. But it was still the hardcover version and really expensive for a book like this, so I gave them a firm no. Told them to borrow from the school library if available or if the paperback comes out before then, I'll buy it for them. This series is obviously raking in the money for the authors/publishers as there's a 4th and 5th instalment in the making.



I put these two books together cos both come highly recommended by my friend Slim, whose boys read very widely. As you can see, one book has been read thoroughly, the other, not at all.   Brian tried reading The Earthsea Quartet when I first got  the book last year but he didn't like it.  Not sure if he'll like it now.  As for Captain Bluebear, I blogged about it here.



I think there are more books in the Inkheart series but Brian only read this one and have not wondered more about the book. It's been turned into a movie, I think.



For a time, Brian was hooked on Brian Jacques' Redwall Series. He's read them all save for the latest instalment which we saw at Borders, but still hardcover and so expensive. Laterlah...



And for both boys and girls, there's the Harry Potter series (our books are in Malacca) and shown here Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings trilogy. Aren't my LOTR books gorgeous? I got the books, which come in a case, for a very nice low price at one of the warehouse sales in Singapore. Brian tried reading LOTR but didn't like it enough to complete the first book.



Boys will also like books by Roald Dahl and Judy Blume. In Judy Blume's Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, the protaganist has a very rascally little brother, so Brian can totally relate to the character. It's really quite funny.



In this pile are some animal-related stories that could appeal to boys, including Woof!, Rascal, Because of Winn-Dixie (oh, Brian just told me he didn't like this book, so...), Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Old Yeller, The Pig who saved the world, and The Tale of Despereaux.  The Phantom Tollbooth and Louis Sachar's Holes are books that Brian enjoyed a lot too.



My friend Monica has many posts on books, just click on the book label in her blog. Direct links here to her posts on Classic Book Series for Girls and Book series for boys. Hehe, very different from my list up there, which looks so un-cerebral in contrast.

Just added:

In the car on the way home from school just now, I saw Brian reading the book below, Firestar's Quest: Super Edition from the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. So I'll just add this to the list of books he likes to read, cos he's actually read 6 books from this series, not including this one.

17 comments:

monlim said...

Wow, I can see that Brian has very specific tastes in reading! Definitely the fantasy/sci-fi genre which is very typical of boys. Can't really comment cos I'm not into these although I like Artemis Fowl (haven't got Time Paradox yet though, I wonder why it's so much more expensive than the rest).

I just finished Inkheart. Creative storyline but sooo draggy, I think the book could have been condensed to half its size.

L-A doesn't like Wimpy Kid, again I think it's a boy thing, although at a glance, it looked quite cute to me.

Of course Roald Dahl and Judy Blume are classic! And I didn't know Dave Barry tried his hand at children's fiction, I love his writing - it's so humorous.

Thanks for the recs!! Maybe in a few (or more than a few) years, I might get Andre to be interested in some of these :D

monlim said...

And where got uncerebral?? Some of Brian's books definitely reflects his maturity in reading. I glanced at Redwall at the library once, wah looked so cheem...

Lilian said...

You go see your list of classics for girls and then compare to this, hehe, even the covers there look more dainty and brainy.

You actually still read all these books? And still have time to blog, play scrabble (and tonnes of other FB games), play computer games, make chicken pies, coach the kids, ferry them to activities AND work??!! Okay, do you have a clone(s)?

monlim said...

No clone lah, don't think I'd be able to tahan myself LOL

Reading is a fill-in-the-gap thing for me lah, usually no time to sit down and just read. So I read 1) as I'm having lunch 2) on MRT enroute to meetings 3) during commercials in between tv programmes at night. That's why cannot have books with too complicated plots, very easy to lose track! I just tried reading the the Warriors book I bought L-A for her bday, gave up already. Never got past the million names, all mixed up.

And all the other activities exaggerated lah... chicken pie - done by maid. Coach kids? Scream at them only what, nothing to it!!

Anonymous said...

My girl liked both the wimpy kid books and we also bought a 3rd one for her to do her own wimpy kid diary..just that she has not started. LOL..
She actually read both books twice if I were not wrong...so maybe she is more boy at heart? :)

qx

Lilian said...

QX: The 3rd book my boys saw wasn't the DIY diary, but a real story titled The Last Straw, go check it out, :) unless you don't want your girl to know about it!

Mon: Amazing multitasker lah you, I need to read my books in one straight sitting otherwise lose interest. That's why haven't read many books since had kids!

Aiyah, no wonder the Warrior title looks so familiar. Brian came back with one from the library today called Firestar's Quest, I thought oh this looks like a series I could add to the post. Now I realise it was the book you bought for L-A. Brian said he's read 6 of the books from the series, but I don't remember seeing him read them. He read them in school and sometimes at home, he said I just didn't notice.

max said...

I always appreciate finding others who are concerned about helping children become readers.

That's because I grew up as a reluctant reader. And my father was the author of over 70 books. Now I write action-adventure and mystery books especially for tween boys. My blog, Books for boys, http://booksandboys.blogspot.com is # 4 on Google today.

Keep up your good work!

Max Elliot Anderson

Alcovelet said...

Tks for the book recs! Your/Slim's Captain Bluebear went down like a house on fire! But Diary of a Wimpy Kid was not a hit. Anything vaguely fantasy has him shrinking with fear these days - think he read too much of it before he was ready!!

The Redwall series looks fabulous, although it could be a bit cheem? I haven't had a look yet, but looks like the small words type. But it's got mice in it, so that will be a draw!

Tks again!

Lilian said...

Thanks Max, I've visited your blog in the past.

Adeline: I think your little fella's imagination is a bit too well-developed, so these characters may be too real for comfort. Though his lego creations look pretty scary too to me!

daphne said...

I love James Pattinson's series, Maximum Ride, Alex Cross & all. Didn't read the rest though.

My children are too young to read these now (going 3.5 & going 1.5), but thanks for the recommendation. Will keep the list for their future reading.

Lilian said...

You have two little kiddos under 4 and can still find time to read? :)

Er, it's Patterson...you got the hots for Robert Pattinson eh? LOL!

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

Impressive list! TFS! Elder dd chooses her own books but ds is the one who is still reading all those wimpy kids + bottoms & butts by andy griffths. {roll my eyes} I wish this phase will pass quickly!
S

Lilian said...

LOL! What's Bottoms and Butts, sounds like something Sean would love!

Boys will be boys eh?

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

Books by Andy Griffths. http://andygriffiths.com.au/books/ The "Just" series was introduced to him by his grade 1 teacher as she knew he likes humorous books like Wayside stories. Now the author came out with more like The "Bum" series etc. I am not sure if u want to go there. Hehehe...

Lilian said...

omigosh I can't believe they actually have a picture of a bum on the book cover! Hilarious!

Puzzled by Puzzles! said...

The ones they are reading in school have "tamer" covers. BTW, ds said the 3rd book of wimpy is not nice. He wondered if the author has ran out of ideas.

Lilian said...

Your DS quite a discerning reader huh...can be book critic.