Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Square Root Day


Math nerds around the world are celebrating Square Root Day today, 3/3/09, ie 3 is the square root of 9. The last Square Root Day was 5 years ago on 2/2/04 and the next will be 7 years later on 4/4/16. Happy Square Root Day!

Sean has stopped doing this, but for a long time, he kept going around asking us, our friends, (and this is no good) his classmates, this question, "What's the square root of -1?" All the time, he'd go, "What's the square root of -1?" no matter how many times you give him the answer "i", he would still ask that question. I think he was just really intrigued by the concept of imaginary numbers. Here's a funny cartoon on imaginary and irrational numbers.

[get-real.jpg]

10 comments:

bACk in GERMANY said...

If it hadn't been for you, the Sq Root Day would have passed me by...

Hope your blog goes on till 4/4/16, 5/5/25, 6/6/36 etc...... to remind me on numbers, creativity and fun!

Lilian said...

I didn't know either, till I saw it on Yahoo!'s main page. Whoa, 2036 yikes? By then, I hope I'll be too busy playing mahjong all day to blog!

Tsu Lin + + said...

I didn't know there is a SRD! I don't tire of that funny cartoon, always crack me up!

Lilian said...

Tsulin you're such a math geek. I notice posts about math will entice you to de-lurk and comment here!

And I love that cartoon too, that's why post it up a 2nd time :)

Chase said...

I knew it was World Math Day on the 3rd but didn't know abt Sq Root Day! Ask your ds what's 0!. I am sure he would know too. :)
Sandy

Lilian said...

He says it's 1.

Sandy, you actually knew it was World Math Day? Tsk tsk, math nerd alert.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... I will take that as a compliment. Kekeke!
Sandy

Lilian said...

Of course it's a compliment, we all know nerds rule the world...hehe, or that's what I tell my sons anyway!

Tsu Lin + + said...

Lilian : I wish (I was a math geek)!

BTW, I copy & pasted a sentence from your blog and my friend corrected me on it! LOL... It should be 3 is the square root of 9. :P

Lilian said...

Omigosh, I can't believe no one else spotted this glaring error...unless readers here are too polite to point it out to me!

Thanks! Off to edit it! So malu...