Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pi in the sky

Nowhere near any record of any kind but pretty good for a boy who's always saying he doesn't have a good memory. Sean recites pi up to 31 decimal places.



I've never been able to make Sean memorise anything, not spelling, not poems, not multiplications; he always goes, "I can't...I don't have a good memory..." so who knew he'd remember a 32-digit number. I'm not sure when he started memorising this, I did hear him mumbling 3.142...blah blah blah for some time now from wherever he was reading his book, but didn't think very much of it.

And why 31 decimal places? Well, he showed me the page where he got the numbers from, Murderous Math's The Perfect Sausage.



And there it was, pi at 31 decimal places :)

Who knows how much more he would have remembered if the book had more digits? But this is at least one thing Sean has over his korkor, whom he is always saying is very clever...cos Brian, the brother with the good memory, can only remember pi up till 16 decimal places.

Go Sean, who says you don't have a good memory!

ps. When Sean heard himself on the video, he said to Brian, "You're right...I do have a whiny voice." LOL! At least no one can say he isn't self-aware.

pps. And yes, I know my boys need to get out of the house more often.

9 comments:

monlim said...

Sean, I'm fainting - you have a terrific memory! So when you go grocery shopping, your mummy doesn't have to make a list anymore huh? You just remember all can already! So saat!

Lilian said...

So far, this is about the only time he's displaying sign of a good memory! So no chance I can leave grocery list to him...he'll probably just say Buy Kinderbueno, Kitkat, Nutella, Mars bar ice-cream, Haagen-Dazs chocolate flavour...

Alcovelet said...

Haha! That's terrific! There's a Pi Day coming up, or is it over?

Lilian said...

There's a Pi day? I'd like to see what the Google label looks like on Pi day.

Just to point out, Sean doesn't know any of our phone numbers, address, nor any other important numbers...so this sudden "prowess" is very strange and probably attributable to his current obsession with the MM books.

breve1970 said...

Ok Lilian...

I do remember your comments on Murderous Math and 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear and that 6 1/2 year old Sean reads them... so for me thats outright bright man!

Hannah is sick at home today and she is trying to read The Great Number Rumble (trying very hard)... but for Captain Bluebear... I have to read that to her, you know????:)

Lilian said...

Heyo Ann, I think Capt Bluebear may be a boy thing. My friend's daughter isn't biting either.

Hope Hannah feels better after a day of tender loving care from mummy dearest :)

breve1970 said...

Gee... I don't know man... she just told me she wants to go back to school today...! The fever bit is gone, thank goodness. Thanks for your concern, Lilian!

Will try to catch up with your entries and errr... work after she has gone to school.:)

Lilian said...

You're right, this does feel like work sometimes, but for the most part, it's pretty fun. Looking forward to you blogging soon :)

breve1970 said...

You have a good flight home today! See you soon!