Monday, January 26, 2009

GONG XI FA CAI!!



Backpost:

Woke up well-rested to face the Year of the Ox, also the year our family ox turns 12. The plan was to head for Eugene & May's (aka as the Laws) for lunch followed by mahjong till dinner when we'll head for Druzba, a Chinese restaurant in the city. Brian's shirt was a new one we bought the last time we were in KL, I still can't remember when; I was just glad I found something new for him. Sean's supercool superman tee we bought when we were in KK early this month. My lucky red top is new in that I've never worn it, cos I never liked the cut...but I bought this at least 2 years ago in London. Eddie's shirt is newly bought on our last trip back but he wore it once on flight.

Wearing red helped and I was the sole winner for mahjong today. Hehe, had 3 limits and won $56; it's not much but considering our stakes aren't high (limit of 6-tais pays $24 for self-pick), it was a good haul. The best was the last game we played just before leaving for dinner...Pulled the last white board (pek pan) for a limit game, wooo hoooo. Nothing beats that feeling. We have plans for more mahjong in the weeks to come as the Laws are leaving for their next posting in Paris come March, they are our only mahjong kakis here. So here's hoping my good run continues.

Roy, Lynn and Zoe joined us at Druzba for CNY dinner. The dishes aren't quite familiar to me, but it was really just too much food again. A lot of fun and a lot of laughter over too much food after a good mahjong win made this a pretty good CNY for me.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats on the win.. Shiok, isnt it?
Having a good run myself over here. Played on Sunday with Boon Chuan and was was sole winner, and last night again, at my brother's place. Ladies coming tomorrow for the usual thurs game and hope the 13-Wonder spirits are back for good in this house. Gong Xi Fa Ca!

Lilian said...

Congrats to you too! I tried making 13-wonders a couple of times but luckily my hope was dashed early by others' kangs. Got a nice Heavenly Twins with 2 animals on the table too.

Anonymous said...

Brian looks like you and Sean looks like your hubby!

YY.

Lilian said...

That's what everyone says :)

minako said...

Hey, Lilian, Happy Chinese New Year!
You look great in the red top. Red is actually really good color to any Asian women in our age, I think. I am glad the everyone in your family is well and having a good time eating Chinese yummies. The food shots at the reunion made me drool...
Talking about the year of ox, I saw ox penis on sale at a chinese market in NJ. First I thought they were selling a white eel..., It was VERY long. How do they eat it?? Was it some kind of auspicious delicacy for the new year, I wonder???

Lilian said...

Hey Minako! May and I were just talking about you and wondering how you're settling in. It's been boring at school without you.

Ox penis, yucks, nope, never heard of it being a new year delicacy. Haha, you sound really impressed by its length!

How're you and the kids?

Domestic Goddess said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

Alcovelet said...

Nice pics! How did you get your hair looking so windswept? Like got fan on for that special effect like that!

And great family photos!

Lilian said...

DG: Gong Xi Fa Cai back to you!

Ad: Thanks. Got wind effect meh? Was a good hair day I guess.

How did your CNY go ladies?

Alcovelet said...

Super duper CNY! Ate so much and was so busy, didn't have time to take any pics. The last two days kind of wound back to normal, but this weekend is coming uppppP!

petite fleur said...

Agree that your hair looks great.

Hehe I was playing blackjack (ban luck) with my family all through CNY. I won but not big lah cos we don't play big stakes - just for fun. Love gambling during CNY.

Lilian said...

Hahaha, I thought it was called Ban Lad, not Ban Luck. Yalah, what's CNY without gambling huh?