Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Random things about me

So much housework to do and now kena do MEME, tagged by Petit Fleur and Monica. Six trivial/random stuff about myself. Here goes nothing:

1. I don't like anything potentially pokey anywhere near my bellybutton. Don't even talk about that potentially pokey thing being near my bellybutton. I cringe. I rub my tummy in an effort to banish those thoughts. Sometimes when I lie in bed on my stomach, this stupid thought will appear in my head, that of a sword pushing up from under the bed into my bellybutton. Immediately, I'll shift my position or even turn around, rubbing my tummy again.

2. I love smelling babies' armpits. Only babies' and maybe tots'. Related to this, I can smell a rubbish dump or a rubbish truck well before they are anywhere in sight. Friends know I smelt something nasty by the way tears start welling in my eyes as I retch and try to get the smell out of my mouth.

3. I am a tabloid junkie. London was heaven for me in at least one regard, tabloids were loads cheaper than in Singapore. As a teenager, I spent my allowance on magazines like Galaxie, Saturday Weekly, Movie News; we didn't get expensive magazines like Tiger Beat in Malacca. The magazines I read had English news about Hongkong stars and synopses on HKTVB dramas. These days, it's magazines with stories on the Jolie-Pitts. If I see Angelina Jolie on the cover of tabloids, my hands immediately reach out for the magazines. At one time, the draw was Nicole Kidman, but not anymore.

4. I have an overactive imagination. I tend to think ridiculous thoughts and have to stifle myself lest I blurt them out loud amongst less familiar people. I enjoy humour like this. At home, many times, I'm the one talking rubbish and laughing hysterically at my own rubbish while Brian just looks on and smiles. Times like that, he just seems so much more mature than I am. I think he takes after his dad, though thankfully he's less serious. Sean appears to have taken after me, and loves indulging in toilet humour. He can't outdo me though, I give him more than he can take (and give), so he'll beg to stop after a while.

5. I had my entire pre-NUS education in Malaysia, went to a convent school till O levels (the Malaysian equivalent) and then a Lasallian boys school for Form 6. Looking back, I had a fantastic schooling experience. When I was 11 or 12, me and my classmates would hang out near the school before band-practice. Our school is located next to A Famosa, a 500-year old historical site, in fact, now a World Heritage site. We'd make our way up St Paul's Hills, and then back down, visiting the Malacca museum, at the time located in a smallish building near Stadthuys. I don't remember feeling stressed about exams or having too much homework. We joined lots of after school activities, just for the fun of it. I was pretty active as a girlguide in secondary school, so lots of memories of campfires and camping. Form 6 was a blast, the subjects I took finally made sense, NO MORE SCIENCE, yipppeee. I was the only girl from my school to go to the Lasallian boys school, the rest who opted for Arts stream had to go to CHIJ; where I was for a month, HATED every minute of that awful school. So glad I got the transfer (through a family friend), cos some of my Form 6 mates have become life-long friends. Been 20 years since we left school and we're now scattered all over the world, me in Moscow, two are in Dubai, one in Ho Chi Minh City, one in Guangzhou, one in Shanghai, a couple in Kuala Lumpur and a couple in Singapore.

6. I have to mop the floor now. Okay okay, the last random stuff about myself, which most will know, is that I HATE HOUSEWORK. I can live with a pretty messy place. I always feel that if someone can't stand the mess, that someone should be the one doing something about it. Since I can live with the mess, I shouldn't be tasked with cleaning up. Isn't that more equitable? But duty beckons...so I'm off to mop the floor now...groannnn. Well, at least that's my intention. So often, the spirit is willing but...

Who to tag? Aiyoh, okaylah, Wendy, Adeline and Cindy.

Okay DONE!

8 comments:

monlim said...

All of them I can believe - the belly button one? You really screwed up, girlfriend!! So funny lah.

Lilian said...

Eeeks, wonder if there's a name for this phobia. Not many know about my phobia, those who do will wriggle their index finger and come near me pretending they're about to poke my tummy. Who needs enemies...

monlim said...

And now the whole world knows... it's probably called bellybuttonitis. Or Lilianobia...

Lilian said...

LOL! Surely I can't be the only one!

bACk in GERMANY said...

I call it NAVELOBIA!

Oi... why you tagged me??? So sad about leaving... didn't feel like blogging leh.....
Ok lah, I did my homework liao...

Anonymous said...

haha, I have the same tickle-phobia for my back. I think it stems from when I was a little kid and my 2 older brothers would tease me by poking me on my back every time they walked by. Till today I'm still hyper-ticklish on my back!

I wonder... for you, has it got anything to do with having been told that babies come out from the bellybutton?? Sounds Freudian, I know.. :-)

YY.

Lilian said...

PP: My bathroom needs you now.

YY: Hmmm, that's a thought. I think it may have more to do about knowing there was an umbilical cord once there that had been pulled out/cut off! Yeoooweeeccchhh.

Alcovelet said...

LIke a past life type of scared of anything pokey at the navel? Haha, you're too funny! And you tagged me ah? Aiyo, So tired leh. Ok ok.

I could have sworn I commented on your blog and Mon's yesterday when I was sleep deprived, but don't have leh. I must be hallucinating!