Sunday, December 07, 2008

Ice-skating on Red Square




Friday was Parent-teacher conference so the boys didn't have to go to school. After my morning meetings with their teachers, we headed for the city. The ice-skating rink on Red Square had just been erected, and this year's rink is bigger than last year's.

From last week's Moscow Times, "The crowning glory of Moscow's ice rinks is the rink on Red Square. Occupying a quarter of the square, the rink's temperature-controlled surface is surrounded by blue walls bedecked with 1960s and 1970s illustrations of Father Christmas and children on rocket ships welcoming the new year. Music plays over speakers, colored Christmas lights hang above gliding skaters below, a giant Christmas tree adorned with shiny ornaments and GUM signs and topped with a red Kremlin-style star stand in the way of Lenin's mausoleum."

The boys had a great time even though Sean spent most of his time falling on his butt and picking himself up. I watched from the sides as I can't skate to save my life. They both insist I have to join them in the rink on our next visit...and since I'm always saying to them: JUST TRY, DON'T SAY YOU CAN'T!, guess I'll have to practise what I preach...yikes! Sore bum alert!

16 comments:

bACk in GERMANY said...

Awesome pics!

Wow... in the future, these boys have wonderful tales to charm their gf/s with.
"Imagine I was ice-skating on Red Sq..."
All the girls will die of romance-overdose!

monlim said...

Very, very nice! The backdrop is so romantic.

Anonymous said...

Lilian, the place is beautiful!! Remember to wear thicker pants to cushion the falls. ;-P

Chris

Lilian said...

I'm chickening out already Chris :)

Kant said...

Woooow!!!!!! It's like a dream land and professional ice skating should be one one the best memory on their life.

Lilian said...

Make sure you take Kant and Krit there too this winter, and take lots of photos.

Kant said...

For sure and will try more fantastic than you.Ha! Ha! Ha!. Because I will go on romantic midnight time.Is sound good .Would you like to join us?

Lilian said...

Make sure you do it! Midnight okay, you said it! When it is -20 degrees, you can be romantic and hug your husband the whole time.

Syed Danial said...

how much does it cost for the rent and the access? nice pictures youve got there :)

Lilian said...

Thanks Danial, it was a beautiful day. You should definitely try it. I think the rink will close soon, definitely in February.

My kids had their own skates, so I don't know how much rentals cost. Access costs are different for different times of the day AND different days. We went on a weekday and at noon (I think) and it was 300R for kids.

Syed Danial said...

owh..thank you very much :)
it is really useful..
are you still in moscow now?

Lilian said...

Yes, we're still in Moscow. Hope you're enjoying yourself here.

Syed Danial said...

Owh wow. Hey, now only I knew that you are a Malaysian. My bad for not reading your earlier posts. Are you working here?

Syed Danial said...

and thank you. We are enjoying ourselves here :)

Lilian said...

Not working here, my husband's posted here. Glad you're having a good time despite the cold weather. Gotta get used to it since you're gonna be here for some years.

Syed Danial said...

yup. 6 years to be specific. Getting used to it right now. Glad the weather is warming up