Friday, November 14, 2008

Traffic standstill at its worst



The traffic situation is Moscow is truly getting out of hand. Had a function to attend at the Singapore embassy last night. As usual, I had to leave the house at 530pm cos any later, I might get stuck in the jam. Arrived at Eddie's office and we, together with another of his colleague, left the office at 630pm.

I checked google earth, and the embassy is 6.5km away. Guess how long we took to get there? 2 hours!! This means we travelled at a speed of 3.25km per hour. I think a tortoise would have reached there faster.

Reminds me of the time we took Sean out for his birthday dinner, one of the rare times we head out to the city for meals. We finished our dinner in about 40 min, and left the city pretty early, maybe 640pm, and we arrived home at 930pm. Almost 3 hours to travel less than 15km.

Some form of road-pricing/COE/car population control is definitely way overdue.

15 comments:

monlim said...

Wah, that sounds horrendous! Is public transport any better, ie subway? 3 hrs to travel 15km is just crazy.

Alcovelet said...

You'd think in this global recession, these guys would have fewer places to go, tut tut.

Alcovelet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilian said...

Sotong lah Adeline...did you mean to post the above on your own blog comment section? hee...

monlim said...

hahaha, Ad is getting mah bo! Oi, you put whisky in the bread izzit? hahaha!!

Alcovelet said...

BLUSH!!!

Lilian said...

As I said here, if you wanna be sure to get some place on time, take the metro, if you have time to spare, take the car. Yeah, subway's okay but peak hour situation can't be that much fun either. And I don't want to be walking around on Moscow streets in the night.

My Thai friend's husband got beaten up during his first week in Moscow, he was just minding his own business, walking towards his car; these thugs came out of nowhere, just attacked him cos he's foreign looking.

monlim said...

scary... so when are you coming back???

Lilian said...

Aiyoh, I told you can only let you know in early Dec ah nyah eh...

Alcovelet said...

So xiong in Moscow, huh? I read somewhere that the average lifespan of the Russian is something like 64 years and shrinking, from the alcoholism and the stress in the society.

Perhaps it's a good think you don't step outside much!

monlim said...

I didn't mean this year lah, I meant for good...

Alcovelet said...

No whisky. It's those alcoholic raisins I love so much. hic.

Jesh joking.

Lilian said...

Adeline: That's the average, I think the life expectancy of a Russian male is even shorter, only 58! Females fare much better, 70 plus. I suspect alcholism plays a big part in this.

Monica: The short and honest answer to that is, Don't know! I'm not affected by this kind of traffic on a daily basis, and live in a cocoon-like environment, and as I always say, give me a computer and an internet connection, I'll be happy anywhere.

monlim said...

That's the true mark of an IAA president!!!

Lilian said...

haha...cucuk me again! Seriously, whenever something goes wrong with my internet connection, I can't think straight anymore, my hands get clammy as I try to figure out if something's wrong with my computer or my router or the cable line, I get edgy and snappy...it's terrible. If I'm in Singapore, easy-peasy, just call up Singtel or Starhub and give them a shelling. But overseas, it's usually no help calling helplines. Nothing's ever wrong on their side.