Sunday, November 09, 2008

Day 4 Tokyo: KLKK time

KLKK (Kia lai kia ki) is NUS hostel-speak for walking around aimlessly. And that's exactly what we did the rest of Day 4. Of course, to those who like shopping, this is just normal browsing, window-shopping; I guess it's fun for some people. Not for me and the boys. Most of the time, we'd find a place to sit and just wait while Eddie looks around at stores like Mitsukoshi, Isetan and Takashimaya Times Square.

All that walking around, he ended up not buying anything. Irony was, the rest of us managed to get stuff; Sean a pair of Zara pants cos his only good pants (the other two very comfy pairs I brought along are ripped at the knees) was really dirty and he needed nice ones for the flight home. I also got some cool stuff at the stationery departments, including origami airplanes for Brian and this neat lapdesk which I'm using right now as I type on my notebook while lazing on the sofa watching a Cantonese kungfu serial.

The food sections of Tokyo's department stores don't hand out samples as much as they used to in the past. But while we were KLKK-ing around in Takashimaya waiting for Eddie, we chanced upon a food fair on the 6th floor. Whoa...samples galore.



Tried some really yummy cheese cakes, ice-cream, crabs, pickled seaweedy stuff (not sure what they were), and the boys also tried roe, which Sean said tasted like salt water.

Seaweedy stuff.


Huge crabs.


Jelly-fishy stuff I think.


Roe and crab on rice, these are for sale, not sampling!


Gluttonous (sp?) ball in savoury soup, each bowl is a sample.


Fried stuff, not sure what these are.


Delicious cheese-cake, moist and almost ice-cream-like.


Ice-cream.


Sampled enough to not feel too keen about dinner. It was 430pm by the time we left Times Square Taka...and when we reached Shinjuku West Exit, where the shuttle takes us back to the hotel, we hadn't decided what to eat for dinner. Eddie wanted to shop a bit more, we wanted to wait for him at the hotel; so to cut the discussion short, I said, let's just cross the road and look for dinner. It was already after 5pm when we headed to Shinjuku West.

I remember back in 1997, that Eddie and I had a fruitless search for something we liked in this exact place, tempers flared then; but I thought perhaps the food scene here had improved. Yikes, history repeats itself. We walked for almost an hour, and couldn't agree on where to eat!! Sean was just going, "Never mind, I don't NEED to eat anything!" and Eddie would still try to look for something both he and Sean could eat. I was pretty resigned to lousy food that night anyway, but seriously, every place we went to looked like tourist traps, not appetising at all. Brian was going, "Let's just go into this one!!" BUT Eddie still couldn't decide, aiyohhhh, cannot tahan, he claims the look on my face showed I wasn't happy with any of the places he was contemplating. Actually, all I wanted was to leave them in any restaurant while I scoot off to a standing-room-only sushi place we had passed by, which looked really authentic and yummylicious.

In the end, we decided to return to the hotel and eat at one of Eddie's original suggestions, this restaurant chain called Royal Host. Okaylah, he suggested this place even before our aimless food search, but I baulked at the thought. Remember my preoccupation with Authentic Japanese food?



And would you have it, the boys loved their dinner at Royal Host. The menu in Royal Host is pretty extensive, but nothing I liked. Eddie was gloating lah, cos he loves Royal Host. I just zipped my mouth the entire dinner, didn't really eat much, bleahhhh.

Sean's kiddy meal, which he gobbled up.


Sean loved his meal, as did the other two fussies. The only unhappy camper was me, so Eddie is right, we, that includes me, are all fussies who don't want to give in when it comes to food! While I felt this was a missed meal opportunity, I was glad to see Sean eating up happily. You know he's happy with his food when he says effusively, "I love you Daddy!" "I love you Mummy!" while tucking in. So I concede, Eddie was right this one time. The day thus ended well with ice-creams for everyone.

8 comments:

Alcovelet said...

Don't you just lurve the North Asian super markets? For biznez, I always try to stay at a hotel with a supermarket cos on the last day, I can go crazy buying fresh strawberries, seaweed, even beef (Matsuzakaya) - the supermarkets know how to pack everything for a flight :-).

And I know you don't like the pseudo western food in Japan, but it's got it's charms. Like your kids Brian and Sean (and Eddie :P), RK just loves that perfect looking, plasticky schlopp. I usually just settle for a Japanese inspired spaghetti like mentaiko spaghetti and BH can have his hamburger. Happiness all round!

Lilian said...

Ohhh, everything in the supermarkets looks so fresh and beautiful, but the fruits are quite expensive. I didn't know they'd help you pack beef for flights.

If you guys like eating at these pseudo western joints, then I think it's a lot easier when it comes to meals huh? For me, ai..., cannot lah...no satisfaction, just adding wasted calories :)

monlim said...

I would never have guessed that Eddie was the window shopping type! Like Ad, I find that my kids are inexplicably drawn to Japanese pseudo western food. Maybe it's the presentation or the super shiny glaze they put on their sauces, somehow the kids just love it! I'm like you however, I think it's just a waste of calories that could spent so much better on say, sushi, sashimi or yakitori!

Lilian said...

Oh yes, Sushi, Sashimi, Yakitori...those are definitely worth bingeing on. I was thinking that if I had to eat just one kind of cuisine for the rest of my life, I would happily eat Japanese food forever! Brian chose Japanese too. And Eddie? Cantonese! *rolls eyes* talk about mummy's boy.

Anonymous said...

The Cantonese boy in my household is an exact imprint of yours when it comes to food and mommy's is indeed the best.... wonder what the mommies put in the soup to get such consistent behaviour... the secret recipe. hahaha.

Authentic Japanese for me too anytime and my kid simply loves the real noodles. But recently, there is a new fancy in Japanese pasta(a chain "Pasta de Waraku set up here)... and my kid is fast catching on that, a perfect marriage of cuisines for kids.

As for the other pseudo western meals or curry meals, personally I have never tried them... somehow that fusion combo cannot jive in my system just by staring at them... :)

qx

Lilian said...

Secret recipe ah?...MSG lah...hehehe...these Cantoboys don't even know they're just ajinomoto addicts. I have to admit my MIL's soup is fantastic, I just cannot emulate, okaylah, not just her soup, she is a really good cook. Even the simple garlic sesame oil fried rice she cooked during my confinement was superb.

So your husband likes pork and fried food? What about salted eggs, salted fish? These are all my husband's favourites. Whenever I cook pork, he gobbles up and has second helpings of rice. Even simple steamed minced pork. Very unhealthy but what to do...

What's Japanese pasta like? Do they use Italian style sauces?

Anonymous said...

hahaha..I shall tell my hubby that...MSG addicts. Truly search my heart, I also must say my MIL has the knack of whipping out tasty and QUICK meals too. Impressive when she prepares for family gathering dinner, never leave anyone feeling angry due to hunger. However, other than the soup part that is Cantonese, I am not sure which other dishes are so Cantonese cos she is not Cantonese herself. :)

Yes my hubby likes meat especially char siew, wan ton, BBQ pork.. yes fried food...and yes..never have I seen man liking salted eggs and he has no resistance towards salted fish either. However, I must add that my hubby is the goody-2-shoes type of son. The more typical type of Cantoboy, apple of mother's eye. Then the wife seems to be secondary.. On the contrary, his brother is atypical Cantoboy, wife is the primary... :D

Yes the Japanese pasta still uses Italian sauces...can't run away from Alfredo, Carbonara, Tomato...the slant is some ingredients like seaweed, fish flakes(the shavings that move when it is hot as if it is alive?)and real lobster instead of slipper lobster(kekeke) and special sauce like wafu etc...and sashimi can be served at the same time.

Just read at the website, this was a business idea born out of Singapore by a Japanese guy who had been here for over a decade. So we will never find this in Japan now... :)

http://www.waraku.com.sg/index-sin.html

qx

Lilian said...

Aiyoh, samelah, charsiew, siu yuk, wantan, salted eggs...also apple of mummy's eye. Wah, your SIL is really lucky then that your BIL isn't a typical Cantoboy.

This waraku place sounds very interesting, and best part is can order sashimi too, if one isn't into pasta.