Thursday, October 16, 2008

Countdown to Tomorrow



Brian turns 11 this Saturday and the invites have been sent (above picture). A few of his friends are celebrating his birthday with him after school tomorrow, they'll have bowling followed by a sleepover. I was spared the need to organise activities for them after bowling cos tomorrow night is also Trick or Treat night at Pokrovsky Hills, a secured gated development of townhouses linked to school. Every kid in school wants to live in PH, when you're in there, it doesn't feel like you're in Moscow at all. My Japanese friend's kid wakes up at 820 to rush off to school by 830! But it's also terribly expensive to rent, we didn't even consider it an option.

Anyway, I received this email from Brian's friend's dad, "First of all, Eric would love to go to Brian's Birthday party. Pokrovsky Hills has officially announced yesterday that they will be holding Halloween Trick or Treat night on the 17th from 5 PM 'til 9 PM. I know that you've probably made reservations for the bowling and we aren't asking you to change your plans, but we were hoping that you could find a way to include the Halloween evening in your Birthday plans. I think the boys are really looking forward to this night, especially since we are one of the two families hosting the Haunted House. Maybe we could arrange a special VIP entrance to the house or something?"

I immediately thought YES! and PHEW! when I got this email; Yahoo! No need to plan for games/activities; 11-year olds are so judgmental, they are probably gonna find my games lame. So it'll be bowling; then head for PH for Trick or Treat and Haunted House, then get back home for cake and supper; and the kids can watch a late night movie then sleep, though I was warned by that dad, "WARNING... I have yet to see any "SLEEPING" done at a sleep-over!!!!"

Wish me luck!

8 comments:

monlim said...

WAHHH!! You tan dioh lah... sounds like it's gonna be so much fun. Haunted house some more... Have a very happy birthday, Brian!!!

Lilian said...

Haha, really tan dioh man. Luckily I didn't waste any time planning games, being the last-minuter that I am. You see, I had so many things to do this week (including planning for Japan trip next Saturday), but instead of doing that, I was like ostrich, don't wanna think so much, just blog and surf!

Apparently the haunted house is very popular, last year, "kids lined up for 2 and a half hours, waiting to get in.", said the father. Hope he makes good on his promise for VIP entrance! It's cold today.

monlim said...

Your Japan trip is next Saturday already? How cool! Must go to Harajuku, eat sushi and visit 100yen shop ok? Wish I could go again, it was soooo much fun...

Lilian said...

Yes yes, Harajuku the day we arrive, a Sunday. Any sushi shop will do right? I haven't done any food/restaurant research cos I figured we'll be in Japan, most places quality will be pretty good. Anyway, Eddie has colleagues there, should be able to find out where the cheap and good joints are.

Trouble is I love sushi/sashimi and Eddie doesn't like raw fish. So bodoh right? He's already chope-ing meals, saying we have to eat things like shabu2, yakiniku, yakitori, and dunno what else he mentioned. I'm okay with those but will draw the line at Japanese curry. Actually, in Japan, even the bentos are a treat :)

monlim said...

There's a sushi kaiten (conveyor belt) just across the JR Harajuku station. Cheap and very fresh (can be found in my blog). But go early, the queue forms very quickly.

Almost all the food we tried in Japan is good, but if you want cheap, must look a little more. Bento boxes are great. (always take beef over chicken, their chicken is tough and beef is tender like anything). What I didn't like was their curry pie. I thot it'd be like our curry puff, but it turned out sweet! Very strange...

Lilian said...

Thanks! Yup, Japanese curry is too sweet for my liking. Noticed your family likes pies huh? Saw Kenneth's FB post on M&S porkie pies :)

monlim said...

Only Kenneth is crazy abt the pork pies, the rest of us are like meh. But yes, we generally like pies, I actually make a mean chicken pie (one of the rare things I can cook!!)

Lilian said...

I have no idea how to make pies; not motivated cos nobody in our house really craves for pies, especially angmoh pies; cranberry lah, apple lah, pumpkin lah; I find the crust too heavy-going. But I do like Singapore's chicken pies, the type with fluffy crust and green peas inside. Yummy.