Friday, September 19, 2008

Who's a Cookie Monster?


My first time baking cookies, would you believe it?

I've baked cakes and cupcakes, but never cookies. I bake cakes cos I LOVE cheesecakes and moist rich chocolatey cakes...I bake cupcakes cos I like to play around with the decorations...but cookies? Never felt the urge to bake them cos am not a Cookie Monster. I love Oreos but don't crave for them like I would a sinfully rich slice of chocolate cake.

My mum, on the other hand, loves baking cookies. She makes excellent CNY cookies; people rave about her pineapple tarts...sorry I have not picked any tips from her...not really motivated, seems like a lot of work.

But I came upon a chocolate chip cookie recipe that looked simple enough...and decided why not. I didn't really have to do very much cooking this week cos Eddie's out of town. As it turned out, cookies are really easy to make, not as cumbersome as cakes. However, I didn't have chocolate chips, so substituted with dark chocolate instead; but they melted. I'll give it another try next time with chocolate chips.

Taste-wise was pretty good (they're almost all gone now), but not Famous Amos standard, something's missing, Cinnamon perhaps? Anyone knows how much I should add and do I use cinnamon powder?

10 comments:

bACk in GERMANY said...

Me, me, me!
Me am cookie monster....
Looks really yummy!
What to add? Wendy is the person to ask. She makes the best sticky chewy choc cookies in town!

Alex Wong said...

Good. Try making them in different interesting shapes. When it looks better, it tastes better too.

Lilian said...

PP: Can't disturb her, Wendy is too busy making milk now.

Alex: Your sis said you're a chocoholic...you cookie monster too eh? Wonder what shape you have in mind...hmmm, No, don't say anything here; this blog is for family viewing ;)

Hsien Lei said...

Cinnamon?! Vanilla is as far as I go for chocolate chip cookies.

monlim said...

wah, looks goooooood... try adding vanilla essence?

Lilian said...

Used 1/2 tsp of vanilla. The taste lacks oomph, not sure what's missing.

Alcovelet said...

You remind me, I have this pack of frozen Nestle cookie dough in the freezer. We're gonna have fun on the afternoon!! Hope you guys had a good session complete with milk and tea!

Lilian said...

Found out we ran out of milk that day! Brian had finished the last drop. Bought more yesterday but we were already down to the last 3 pieces.

bACk in GERMANY said...

You want oomph... then add a dash of Amaretto! *hick *hick * hick!

Lilian said...

Good idea...that should knock the boys out b4 bedtime.