Friday, September 19, 2008

Lebanese lunch at Shafran

So yesterday was Settling-in Conference Day. (mini-rant: School started a month ago, and teachers meet with parents mainly for us to discuss goals for the year. A month is obviously not enough for the teacher to know our child, yet this is the only formal setting that we get to meet with the teachers the entire school year! On the last day of school, the report book comes back with your child, but there is no meeting with teachers to discuss the report book nor how the year had gone. S.T.U.P.I.D.)

*takes deep breath...ohhhmmmm...

So after meeting with the respective teachers, I decided to take the boys out to lunch at a Lebanese restaurant which I had been to twice previously. It was a risk cos my boys (Sean more so than Brian) have pretty conservative tastebuds.



Shafran or Saffron is located in the heart of the city (Spiridonyevsky Pereulok, 12/9; tel:+7 (495) 788-06-00) but thankfully traffic wasn't too bad at that time of the day. I'm listing the phone number down so that I remember to reserve the nice cushioned seats (gives an Arabic feel mah) next time. All the nice tables were reserved; in fact, we were quite lucky they gave us a table as the place began to fill up really quickly right after we were seated. All business people, we were definitely out of place.



I only managed to take a picture of the oxtail soup, mezes (appetisers made of different veg and meat), pita and flat bread. When the mains came (Brian had beef shaslik and me/Sean had chicken kebab), there were too many waiters around...(I find the place a bit over-staffed), just didn't seem appropriate to take pictures. The restaurant scene in Moscow seem a bit 'atas', even those in moderate price-range...unlike in Singapore, where you can be pretty informal in most restaurants.

Just like the Korean place I went to the previous day, I only really like the appetisers, not the mains. I would be happy just to eat the unlimited Pita breads dipped in a few plates of mezes. This time, I ordered Turkish Salad (some slightly spicy tomato concoction) and another meze made of cod fish. The boys wouldn't have any.

Brian's beef shaslik was really delicious. And thankfully, Sean loved the chicken kebab...I told him they were sausages. He loved the pita bread too. Five minutes after we left the place, Sean said he wanted to come to the restaurant again the next day. I'm happy, not easy to find a place where Sean would eat anything more than just bread! Saffron it will be again the next time school's out.

8 comments:

monlim said...

The parent-teacher schedule is same in SG! I get to meet Andre's teacher early part of the year, which makes absolutely no sense... at least for GEP, we meet the teachers twice a year after their exams.

Alcovelet said...

Lebonese, drool. It's apparently the best food in the Middle East. I really love the way these guys have with grilling meat - it's an art! Maybe you'll be able to try Capadochia in Singapore. It's quite quiet - I'm so afraid it'll close down! All this talk about food ...

Lilian said...

Monica: Really? I remember meeting Brian's teacher in St Hilda's probably after CA1 or was it SA1 (not that anything useful came out of that meeting lah), to discuss his report card.

Adeline: When I'm in Sg, I hone in on the food I love; no time for exotic cuisine. I only eat these in Moscow cos the Chinese food scene here sucks, and South-east Asian cuisine is non-existent. There is a Thai that's good, Blue Elephant, but prices are exorbitant.

Li Min said...

IS the Blue Elephant in Moscow similar to the one in Fulham? Been there only once because it is so noisy and no parking. Food so-so for the price...

I love Lebanese too! Sharwarmas are my favourite.

I guess we are lucky. Just drop an email to the teacher and you can make an appointment to see them.

Lilian said...

Yes, it's the same as the one in Fulham.

I'm sure if I email the teachers here, I'll be able to see them; BUT I much prefer it to be a formal setting, where I don't feel like I'm taking extra time from their busy schedule.

monlim said...

I also never email the teacher for appointment, it makes me feel like one of those pushy kancheong mothers... I think the PT meeting is after CA1, but that's still too early, often the teacher has just gotten to know the child.

Lilian said...

Yalah, I hate to be seen as a pushy parent too. That's the main reason I avoid setting up meetings with teachers if I can help it.

Li Min said...

I understand the part about being seen as a pushy mom. But when I saw Andrea's work standard drop, had no choice. Took me ages to pen an appropriate email to the teacher and hoping she did not think I am the mummy from hell who thinks her child is extra special. In the end turned out that she shared the same feelings as me and immediately made an appointment with me. We worked out the issues and that helped a lot as Andrea's work standard really improved once she is challenged. This girl, once she is bored with her assignments, will scribble nonsense and tries to get away with substandard work.