Tuesday, September 09, 2008

ISTP/ISFP Mummy

Check out Monica's post for more in-depth explanation about Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. I did the Myers-Briggs back in 2003/4 when I was still working but did not know that it could be translated into mothering styles. How very interesting...I thought...and went to dig up my Myers-Briggs report.

Before I completed the Indicator, my self-estimate was that I'm an ISTP, however, my MBTI results reported that I'm an ISFP:
I: Draws energy from and pay attention to their inner world
S: Likes information that is real and factual
T: Uses logical analysis in decision-making
J: Likes a structured and planned life
E: Draws energy from the outer world of people and activity
N: Likes to see patterns and connectors, the big picture
F: Uses their personal values in decision-making
P: Likes a flexible, adaptable life.

I'm not sure how different my results would have been if I had completed the indicator at a parenting workshop (as Monica did) instead of at a work setting. Probably not much, so here are my mothering styles...Brian says both describe me...I prefer the second one cos the first one makes me sound like a bloody wimp.

My REPORTED type
The giving mother (ISFP)

Unassuming and devoted, the ISFP mom is responsive to her kids' needs, offering behind-the-scenes love and support. She takes pleasure in physically caring for them. Her best times might be doing little things with each child one-on-one because, more than anything, the ISFP mom wants her children to know they are loved. And she enjoys being needed in return. Dedicated to raising caring kids, she instills values by setting a good example. She may be a strong role model for community service.

Stay-sane tip: You may benefit from outside help in learning how to say "no" and assert yourself. A supportive partner, a good friend, or a professional counselor can encourage you to stand up for yourself.

My self-estimate type
The give-'em-their-space mother (ISTP)

Nonintrusive and respectful of differences, the ISTP mother gives her children the personal space they need to develop as separate, self-sufficient individuals. She seeks to accept and honor each child's interests and choices, and doesn't believe in authority or control for its own sake (yet she has high expectations for each child's self-discipline). She wants to be there for her kids, to meet their basic needs and keep them safe, but her goal is to help her children think for themselves.

Stay-sane tip: Allow yourself a break from day-to-day household routines. Go see a movie by yourself or visit a bookstore. Hire a housekeeper every once in a while, if you can afford it.

The ISTP stay-sane tip is definitely something I use regularly. Besides the crappy stay-sane tip for ISFP, I'm also most definitely no strong role model for community service...makes me wonder how accurate my report was.

4 comments:

Hsien Lei said...

I've never had the patience to take one those tests. :P

Lilian said...

Yeah, I not only took this test, but 4 others including FIRO-B, Learning-Style Inventory, when my company sent me for some leadership devt programme. And what did I learn after the programme? That I just wanna stay home and be with my kids!! And that's when I quit and left for Frankfurt. Some leadership programme huh?

monlim said...

Glad you found it useful! You are definitely no wimp...

Lilian said...

Thanks Monica...Brian noted that I have no problem saying No to him :)