Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fearless in Gorky Park

Sean is a huge scaredy-cat, much more so than Brian ever was. When we first went to Disneyland, he was afraid of every ride, even the spinning teacup ride. Who is ever afraid of getting on those cute teacups? He's also never been keen about the carousel. When he finally mustered the courage to go on one, he'd only sit on the carriage, not the horse.

However, yesterday, with a 3.5 year old girl (Janelle, a friend's daughter) asking that Sean come along for the ride, he cautiously allowed me to hoist him on to a horse. While I was taking this picture (top left picture), and before the carousel started, his face started to change. He began to look really worried and in about a second, would have wanted to get off. I immediately stopped taking pictures, and went to him to assure him that I'll be holding on to him.



When the ride started, he realised there wasn't really anything to get scared about, and he began to relax and finally enjoyed the ride. One more fear conquered! Thanks to Janelle and our outing to Gorky Park.

You would probably have heard of Gorky Park; the title of a novel and boxoffice movie, some spy movie I think. It is located by Moscow River and has a big amusement park inside. We met up with the little girl Janelle, her mother Michelle and her 2-year old brother Zachary; newcomers from Singapore. Actually, this family is the only one from Singapore we know with kids.

Here are some pictures of Gorky Park; we didn't go into the amusement park which wasn't open till noon (the rides look really dated so I don't think we missed much). The carousel ride was located just outside Gorky Park, so we allowed the kids to go on it as consolation.

Entrance to Gorky Park.


See if you can spot Brian.


Flagging us in.


I have two annoying boys who won't pose for me! Brian keeps doing silly stunts while Sean keeps coming really, really close to my lens, making me stop to shout that if his nose touches my lens, I'll knock his big head so hard he'll faint (actually I used the word pengsan). They always laugh so loud at my threats...no respect!



You can see part of the ferris wheel right at the back behind the trees. There is also a huge German-made roller coaster from dunno which decade, no way was I going on that.


The boys with Janelle and Zachary who are a lot more well-wrapped up. On the right picture, sitting on the park bench, instead of Ronald McDonald, you have this strange plant-man creature...creepy.



Janelle insists not only on holding Sean's hands everywhere they went, but that I cannot hold his other free hand. Really funny to watch.

11 comments:

monlim said...

Lilian, Lesley-Anne is the same, when she was about 5, she was afraid of the carousel. I think she's better now, maybe cos Andre is so fearless she doesn't want to get showed up. But she still won't ride a roller coaster. I think Sean will probably grow out of this phase?

Lilian said...

You're right, he'll probably grow out of this. It'll take a while cos he's a really cautious child.

Brian was cautious too; I remember him hating to walk on the beach, the sand felt icky against his feet. But when it comes to rides, he's now the bravest among us all. Eddie is the chickidest, and I end up having to accompany Brian, really hate it la.

Hsien Lei said...

Remember when Stephen loved to hold Brian's hand? He was about 3.5 then as well.

Lilian said...

Must have been around the time when we first met in London. I think I have a photo of them walking outside Bayswater's Royal China.

monlim said...

haha, I'm surprised about Eddie! I'm also the one who has to accompany Andre on all the coasters...

Alex Wong said...

Gorky Park reminds me of the late 80s (Soviet-era) Russian rock band.
They came out with 2 very cathy songs: "Bang" & "Try To Find Me".
Have you exposed your sons to mind-liberating and adrenaline-boosting rock music?

Lilian said...

Alex: Mind-liberating? More like mind-numbing methinks. I don't need to expose them lah, I'm sure they'll find their way to such noise/music in a few years, if only to annoy me!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Gorgeous photos! Esp love the flag one and the b/w one you did with Brian, and the close-up of Sean in front of a building...
Somebody is obviously enjoying the DSLR now! :)

O yeah... my kids were crazy too the last couple of times when I tried to take photos of them. They kept coming up to my lens... screaming didn't help :( , luckily my lens pen is handy and easy to use.

Lilian said...

er...paisay, how to use the lens pen? Use the brush side? I'm so afraid I'll scratch the lens or something.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Ok... Alan demo'ed for me...
Use the brush the gently brush dust away, and use the other side to clean. Clean in circular motion from the outside to the inside and then in the reverse direction. He said my cousin even made a thumbprint on the lens to demo it to him.

Lilian said...

Omigosh...I'll faint (but not before kicking that person) if someone intentionally made a thumbprint on my lens! Thanks for the tip though :)