Sunday, July 13, 2008

Joys of comparison shopping

I've been drooling for an ultra-portable notebook that I can chuck into my handbag and take around everywhere I go. I started my research a couple of months back when I was in Singapore. The Asus EEC PC was about the only such product available at the time, and HP's mini-note 2133 had just come onto the market.

This trip, I was adamant that I would buy the HP 2133 (the Asus keyboard was practically unusable cos it's just too small). When I went to Best on Friday, the price of the HP2133 was $1199, when I was quite sure it should be retailing at $999. Then yesterday, I went to Harvey Norman, and hey the notebook was going for $999 inclusive of GST! Woohooo...I told the salesman that I was taking it...

...but wait a minute. What was this beauty beside the HP2133?



Omigosh, it was an Acer One, with a keyboard that was slightly smaller than HP's but still usable (unlike Asus'), it runs on Linux which is fine for me, loads faster (HP runs Vista and me no likey Vista), it is only 1kg (270g lighter than the 2133), it comes with a case (HP doesn't), the battery life is about 5 hours (HP only 2-3 hours) and most importantly, it's bloody gorgeous!!!



I got mine in Pearl white; the other choice was Sapphire blue.



Oh yeah, it's a whole $300 cheaper than the 2133, at only $699 inclusive of GST. Fantastic buy. And it's a new arrival, just came into Harvey Norman on the very day I went there. If I had been a day early, I would have been stuck with the HP2133. I've been using this cutie all morning, hence, the er, slew, of blog posts today.

I sure am glad I'm Queen of Comparison Shopping, yeah, you can call me Madame Skint...Happy happpeeeee...I know, I know, I'm also Queen of Internet Surfing...

Those of you in the market for mini-notes, 'note' that Dell is coming up with their own version, dunno how much it'll be though. Seriously, if you only need this for internet surfing, simple blogging and simple wordprocessing, this machine is more than adequate. I'm liking what I see about Linux so far, it's all about KISS, keeping it simple, stupid! :)

14 comments:

LM said...

Hi hi! Didn't know you were back until Slim told me yesterday! Having fun?

Lilian said...

Yo, yes, having lots of fun. What have your kids been up to? Summer hols too right?

serena said...

I bought my asus 3 months back at $780!! You've got a great deal there. It's even cheaper than mine. Rats!! I should have waited.

Alcovelet said...

Wow! Your Acer looks so cool! I'm sold on Mac these days, although the gap in the operating systems between MS and Mac have closed. Sadly, I have no reason to want a notebook, aiya ... still have two 2yo ones and a 1yo desktop, sigh.

Lilian said...

Aiyoh Serena, nvm lah, in 3 months it'll be my turn to go rats! cos some newer, cheaper, more amazing product is sure to come on the market.

Adeline: I tried jumping on the Mac bandwagon 3 years ago, bought this beauty with the CPU inside the monitor; ooh, I fell in love with it, but we just didn't click. I was probably using just 1% of what it could offer a non-technoklutz. Got a Dell laptop a year ago, runs on Vista, which can be a pain. But this Acer is another product altogether isn't it, you can actually lug it around without even realising it, all about mobility babe ;)

bACk in GERMANY said...

Oi Adeline! You an octopus? So many gadgets at one time!

Hi Lilian!
*Drool.
Maybe it will be handy when I go back to work?? Then I will be financially independent again to buy whatever I fancy!

Am still playing around with my Macbook. Hardly have a chance these days since the kids stick around all the time and unlike yours, mine NEVER leave me alone to surf! Even in the middle of the night, they never fail to routinely wake up to check if their mom is at the computer. And when I'm caught, they will cry murder!!!!

Lilian said...

PP, how do you get all your blogging done then? I think Eddie would love it if my kids were like yours, policing my internet usage that is :)

No need to be financially independent lah, just tell Alan you're buying one for the kids to use, hehe, that's what I said. Brian can now use the Dell at leisure without me rushing him to "Hurry up, mummy needs to use soon!"

khengyan said...

hi lilian ... some lady in germany pointed me to u... I'm looking for a laptop now ... hm, for the ACER, is that the same model in the papers yesterday? hubby told me the battery life of that is just 1hr+, u sure it's 5 hrs?? but I'm a windows person leh... how different is Linux?

Lilian said...

Hi Khengyan, I haven't checked yesterday's papers, but there was a short review of this in ST a few days ago.

Yalah, maybe the salesman conned me, but so far it's definitely not 5 hours, but about 2-3 hours for sure. The battery's performance is supposed to be at its best only after a few charges. Still, maybe the 5 hours battery he's referring to is the 6-cell one; I'm sure mine is the 3-cell one.

Linux is super easy, it's very simple, you can't go wrong. Very intuitive. But it really is just for surfing, emailing, simple wordprocessing for me. I'm sure it's capable of more, but I haven't even figured out how to download Skype! It's not as straightforward as in Windows/Mac. Or maybe it's just me...I dunno...

I have a proper laptop, ie my Dell. This is just something extra for me to lug about. If you need a more powerful machine, this won't be it. There's very little storage too.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Hi Lilian!
I just watched this programme on TV last night about Chinese parents (in Mainland China) sending their kids to a military camp as a therapy to rid off their addiction to the Internet. Shhh... don't tell your hubby that, hor... else, there'll be no more blog posts from you.

How do I blog? Not so much these days right... and when I do, it's very late at night.
I just found some Bob the Builder VCDs to entertain them... they haven't watched TV for a very very LOOOOOOONG time!

Lilian said...

PP: Sheesh...some people are just so rude, reading over my shoulder and giggling (at what you wrote in your first para). Talking 'bout Brian of course.

khengyan said...

hi lilian... tx for the info. hubby read in the hardwarezone that battery life is over 100 mins. he's not keen on that ... but we'll prob go and take a look. I'm not keen on a tiny keyboard, but ya, looking for simple word-processing functions coz will still keep my desktop ...

bACk in GERMANY said...

Can't wait for you to put up a new post. The more I see this one, the more reasons I'm gonna find myself to buy one once I go back to Sg. Gee.. these days women carry around electronic gadgets like accessories! hahaha!

Lilian said...

Yes PP, buy, buy, buy! :) I'm using this nifty little cutie right now in the lobby of my hotel in Genting Highlands, at 3am in the morning.

Headed for Moscow in a day or so, hope to get back to posting somewhat more regularly soon. How's your summer hols been?