Thursday, June 19, 2008

Temaki at Tomie's

A couple of mums from school are leaving Moscow after school ends this Thursday and Tomie invited us to her place for a Temaki Sushi party this past Monday. Tomie has been here for 5 years and will be leaving for Brussels; she's truly one of the nicest people I've ever met, and very funny too. My Thai friend May and I were the first to arrive after dropping Eddie off at the office. We started pottering about in the kitchen, hoping to pick up some tips on Japanese cuisine.

I managed to make Tamagoyaki all by myself :) I love this Japanese rolled omelette. Some patience required cos you need to fry the beaten eggs layer by layer, then slowly roll each cooked layer.



It was a wonderful spread of raw prawns (my favourite), squid, cooked prawns, salmon, yellowtail, tuna, avocado, cucumber, caviar, sesame seeds wrapped with rice and seaweed temaki-style. Some of the items were brought in from Brussels by Tomie and can't be bought in Moscow. It was a big bowl of caviar and I told Tomie she's lucky I'm on a diet, or I'd have finished half that bowl by myself, not to mention most of the other food as well.



And the party of twelve, a very international mix, 4 from Japan, one each from South Korea (PTO Chair Extraordinaire Soon Duk standing beside me), USA, UK, Turkey, Russia, France, Thailand and Malaysia/Singapore (that's me lah).



Tomie is the lady in navy blue sleeveless top kneeling in the middle and next to her is Tammy from USA, the only American in this school dominated by Americans who hangs out with us. Both of them have been here for about 5 years, and the year I get here, they leave. They will be sorely missed by all of us.

2 comments:

Alcovelet said...

You mean you didn't eat??? Much??? *Thud* (Just fainted on the floor).

Lilian said...

I succumbed and ate, but only the food my diet allows. Brought my own salad, and then picked as much raw prawns, hamachi, squid and tuna as I'm allowed. Wasn't supposed to have caviar but had a tablespoon (maybe slightly more) and it was goooooood. Was soooo darn hard but I stopped myself from having seconds.