Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cross-section Lego Earth



Sean fixed this lego after dinner today. Looks like a building doesn't it? He sat by the window near his plants, admiring his lego and pointing to it, then mumbling some names.

He then came up to me and said, "Mummy, I've made a slice of the earth."

Pointing from the top to bottom, he goes, "The white part is the whole atmosphere. The green part is the grass. The top beige part is the ground. The blue part is the sea. The lower beige part is the sand. The red part is the mantle. The orange part is the outer core. And at last but not least, the yellow part is the inner core." (I had to laugh cos I've heard Last but not least, but never At last but not least!)

He elaborated on the broad white section, this time pointing from the bottom to top, "First is the troposphere, second is the stratosphere, third is mesosphere and the top is the thermosphere." He spelt a couple of the words for me.



Image above from google. When I asked him why his lego didn't have the crust like this picture shows, he said "It does, the beige part is the crust." I said, "You said it was the ground." He went, "Yes, I said the ground OR the crust." I retorted, "No, you did not!" And why didn't he have Exosphere? He said his book didn't have that. Something new to learn then.

13 comments:

Alcovelet said...

What a cool way to learn about the earth! Us adults can think it up, but when the kids do it themselves, you know they totally get the idea. Way to go, Sean!! Lilian, I realize that Sean is only 4 mths older than RK. Same age lah! Think Sean, Brandon and RK will get along really well. The same type of far out, in-their-own-world type of kids!!

Lilian said...

Haha I dunno about the getting along part, 5/6-year olds are still extremely egocentric little buggers (not that adults aren't lah), what more somewhat eccentric "in-their-own-world" kids like ours :)

Alcovelet said...

Tell me about it. So many of these Mr I'm-Always-Right...

Tsu Lin + + said...

Lilian, I'm just so gob-smacked impressed with your two boys! What do you ACTUALLY let them read? When I was young, all I could make of Legos were of houses, houses and more houses (I used to want to become an architect). His lego-building is WAAAY cool.

Please list down every book and reading material that they have so I can prepare myself for the future. Heh! :D

Lilian said...

Back in secondary school, I too thought I wanted to be an architect :) Such a cool career.

Kids these days are really lucky that they have access to so many more interesting books than during our time. Books that increases their knowledge without them realising it, to them, the books are just fun and funny.

I've been promising my friend Hsien that I'll catalogue my books for some time now. I did start but gave up. Maybe after summer hols, I'll start a blog listing down their books...maybe...

Tsu Lin + + said...

(Architecture is indeed cool. What did you end up doing, Lilian, if I may ask?)

And yes, please catalogue them soon. for OUR sake! (Teeheehee)

Lilian said...

I was a bank economist for a while. After my first kid, I joined the civil service, still dabbling in economics and later statistics. Dreary stuff, not something you'd wanna do :)

petite fleur said...

How old is your son again ? I'm pretty sure I would not have come up with that when I was at that age.

Lilian said...

He's turning 6 in September. Well, kids these days are very different from our time. When I was young, I only knew how to play masak-masak and watch Six-million dollar man :)

My Gems said...

I'm clearing my bookshelves for your recommendations!

Didn't know you were formerly with the Civil Service. I was from a quasi-government agency, doing research and analysis too. But far from dreary, mine was pretty stressful. Heard things are getting worse ever since I left the job.

Lilian said...

By dreary, I meant the kind of work we did...don't you think it all gets pretty dreary after you hit the 5-year mark at such a job? There's only so much you can spin and analyse (everyone else wants to be an expert too), it's lots of number-crunching and manipulation to fit the scenario you want or that the higher-ups want to portray. It was stressful too where I was, but more from the extra wayang stuff that we had to do, that was over and above our core work.

My Gems said...

Wow, you stayed on the same job for 5 years? You've got my admiration! I moved on to the marketing side after 2 years. Like you said, all the manipulations and wayangs do get dreary after sometime. But working under an incompetent boss was the most dreadful thing that occurred to me. :(

Lilian said...

Yep, 5 years seems to be my threshold; stayed with the bank for 5 years, had Brian, resigned to join my husband in Rome; couldn't do it, came back during the peak of the Asian financial crisis and joined a stat board, stayed for 5 years plus, had Sean in between; then packed up and left for Frankfurt. And I'm now on my 4th year as a SAHM, eeeks!