Sunday, June 01, 2008

Ayam Masak Merah



I was getting soooo bored of churning my chicken recipes that I decided to scour the net for new recipes. Decided on Ayam Masak Merah, literally translated Chicken Cooked Red, but I'll call it Red Chilli Chicken. This is a Malay dish and the gravy is sweet sourish and spicy. I've always loved eating this during Hari Raya when visiting my Malay friends. Glad to finally learn how to cook this. I'm getting a hang of Malay cooking, it's not as difficult as I always thought it was.

You may adjust the spiciness by adding or reducing the amount of chilli paste. I had already made chilli paste last night as I had planned to make sambal ikan bilis (anchovies) for lunch today, so all I had to do was add tomatoes, lemongrass and other spices.

Both Brian and Eddie liked this dish, and Sean ate his little piece up too, so this one's for keeps. Recipe here.

5 comments:

bACk in GERMANY said...

Very hungry here... feed me!

Lilian said...

Pssst...tell you something else...later I'll be cooking beef rendang :) Best-nya...

Baoying said...

I also want!!!!!!!

will definitely try this recipe soon.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Ok, Bao, you try it (cook), and I'll try it (after you cook it, I'll eat!) :o)

Aiyo, Lilian, best-nya beef rendang! Are you trying to get Moscow fat with the curry???
DHL some over, ok?

Lilian said...

Beef rendang memang best...but heckuva troublesome. Gotta simmer for 5-6 hours on very low fire, It's 930pm now and I'm still watching it simmer; will take at least another 2 hours. I started at 5pm.

If you know any reliable rendang paste, let me know. The ones I've tried were terrible (incl Brahim). Doing it from scratch is so much more delicious.