Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Alamak...Best-nya Beef Rendang



The food posts will stop soon, I promise, this sudden wave of gastronomic inspiration was just waiting to burst forth after months of being suppressed due to my AI addiction. I'm sure I'll wind down very soon, as I do with all my passions.

After 3 years, I finally made beef rendang again. I love beef rendang so much but it's such a pain to cook. I tried using those ready-made rendang pastes and they taste terrible. Curry pastes are fine, but I haven't found any passable rendang ones yet. Any recommendations?

It took me 5+ hours just to cook this, and this doesn't include preparation time. Rendang has to be simmered slowly till the coconut milk almost dries up or it won't be yummy. Brian had two plates of rice with this. The last time I cooked this was in Frankfurt and he hadn't learnt to eat it yet. He's now a pro in eating spicy food, just like mummy :) but he hasn't conquered cili padi yet though. Eddie's not back yet so will get his review later. Okay, he's back and having dinner now, thumbs up from him.

Recipe here. I omitted a number of ingredients cos I didn't them, but I think it still turned out all right.

12 comments:

Hsien Lei said...

I like beef rendang if it's not too spicy!! And soon I shall get to have it whenever I want. hahAHAHaha

Lilian said...

Let me know if you find a stall selling yummy beef rendang in Singapore. I love beef rendang. And you won't like mine, I think it'd be too spicy for you.

Alcovelet said...

Woman, think I've put on 2 kgs just by inhaling the food from the screen!! Stop please!!

Hsien - you haven't popped yet? There are a few good places for rendang in Singapore! And they're usually not so spicy as home cooked ones because they have to cater to the general population. Must introduce you to the joys of biriyani ...

bACk in GERMANY said...

Sedap!! *drool*
Unfortunately my kids can't really take spicy food yet.. Yep, yet, coz I think they will learn to love spicy food one day. When I was pregnant and busy throwing up everything I ate, curry was the only thing my stomach could contain. So they will learn to love spicy curries.. I know!

How about you cook for me everyday?

Hi Hsien!
Are you moving to Sg? Welcome! Hope to meet you soon. Love reading your blog, though I should really put this compliment on your blog... hmmm, shy lah! :)

Hsien Lei said...

Alcovelet, I'll take you up on the offer this summer!! I'm now 2 days overdue...argh.

Back in Germany, We'll be moving to Singapore in a couple of months! It'll be my first time living there although I have visited yearly since I married my Singaporean husband more than 10 years ago.

Thank you for the nice comment on cottontimer.com. Please don't be shy. I'm nice to everyone as long as they're not psychos. heh

Baoying said...

Babe!! Don't stop with your food posts. All so exciting one! You make all the food I miss. I have no time to make them now and I'm also trying to diet. So far, not going very well. I have no willpower...Been snacking like crazy.

Interestingly, in my search for 'healthy' snack, I sliced potatoes using slicer and I chucked it into the microwave with no oil, no nothing. Just on baking paper, zap for 5min and it worked! Crispy dehyrated potato chips! Still amazed.

Lilian said...

Whoa Bao, your healthy potato chips sounds pretty darn amazing. Gotta try it one day...soon.

tealeafs said...

Bao, any particular kind of potato needed or anything works? I might just try this cos the husband snacks way to much on crisps and this might just be the ticket.

tealeafs said...

For those (greedy and) interested: http://ieatishootipost.sg/2008/05/peramakan.html

Lilian said...

Thanks Stef for the link! I didn't know they moved to Keppel Club. Luckily I didn't make my way to Joo Chiat the last time I was back. I really loved Peramakan's rendang. I dare say they've the best Peranakan food in Singapore. Unfortunately, at least while they were in Joo Chiat, they don't seem very friendly.

tealeafs said...

The pleasure is first mine. :)

If you want the latest reviews on food places in SG, hungrygowhere is quite useful. Otherwise, I visit this one that I just linked.

I lurve buah keluak to death!!!

Post more food pics ok? It keeps me going ...

Lilian said...

Did you know I actually mentioned Peramakan in my beef rendang recipe post which was written a year or so back? But the best rendang is still my friend Karen's mum's, I dunno which part of the beef she uses, but it's so darn tender, melts in your mouth. Aiyohhh, really gotta pick her 'kang hoo' next time I am in Sg.