Tuesday, April 08, 2008

11-year old piano prodigy

My jaw dropped when I first heard my Thai friend May's 11-year old boy play the piano. I wrote about it here. She's finally uploaded some of his performances onto Youtube. I know I know nothing about music, but this is surely a remarkable talent right? I was not gushing for nothing right?

I'm posting two performances that last week won Kant first prize in the Europe International Competition (he was competing against pianists older than 20). Do go to Youtube, there are more videos there, and leave them a comment if you like what you hear ya?

Fantasie Impromptu Chopin


Flight of the Bumblebee

4 comments:

Tsu Lin + + said...

I am impressed by his super-fast fingers on "The flight of the bumblebee". When i was learning the piano (and organ) at 4-5 YO, my teacher kept lamenting "How slow" I was and kept saying that I do not practice hard enough. She is right. :P

I showed my baby, Kant's performances - she looked intentively at first, then halfway, she got really excited and smiled and moved her body (like dancing along to it!). She approves and likes it too. :)

Anonymous said...

Kant's performances are superb, he plays with great maturity and interprets the pieces well. An outstanding pianist! Did his parents groom him to be a pianist since a very young tot?

Lilian said...

He's been playing since he was 5 I think. His mom is extremely dedicated and knew right from the start that even with innate talent, lots of discipline is required to perform at this level. His Russian trainer focuses a lot on the emotional aspect of performing (technically he is already very good).

Alcovelet said...

Lilian, the first piece was amazing in his ability to arouse emotion in the listener for someone so young. The talent and discipline are obvious!