Saturday, November 24, 2007

First try at Kung Po



Kung Po chicken is one of Eddie's and my favourite dishes to order in restaurants but it's really hard to find it cooked authentically abroad. Sometimes they cook it with red pepper (instead of dry chilli, how can????), in the Chinese restaurant we went to here in Moscow, they drown the dish with tonnes of tiny dried chilli (again, very strange); so we don't really bother trying this dish in restaurants anymore.

I found a recipe off Wokking Mum, adapted it to our taste, and hey hey I've got my Kung Po chicken now. The boys liked it. Eddie's not back yet so I've yet to get his verdict (okay, he likes it too, but thinks it may be too spicy for the boys...told him the boys were fine).

Next time, I'll try it with prawns. Yum!
.........................

Actually, when I talk about authenticity, I'm speaking from my own point of view, I'm sure the Kung Po I know is a bastardised Malaysian/Singaporean version, and nothing like the original dish which is (I think) a Szechuan dish.

8 comments:

Hsien Lei said...

Darn you!! Now I'm craving Chinese food.

Lilian said...

Hahaha...I think I've seen a wok in your kitchen...so get cooking!

I know I know, when pigs fly...

okay, start digging under the sofa for change to make that 20pounds you'll need for free delivery from Singapore Garden then!

Shannon's Mummy said...

wowowow.. the Kung Po Chicken looked damn nice and tasty siah!!! I only cooked Kung Po Chicken with Lee Kum Kee Kung Po sauce.. Oh yes.. I have yet taste the authentic KungPO Chicken! ;P

Lilian said...

I think I bought a bottle of LKK or Kee's Kung Po sauce in London...opened it, had a taste, and decided, NO WAY! Same sourish artificial taste you get in those mainland-Chinese restaurants overseas, cannot make it lah...

I threw the bottle away.

Try out this recipe, easy and good.

Roslyn said...

yeah! another site for ideas!

Hsien Lei said...

If I ever move to Moscow and have no choice, I will make it. Heaven forbid.

Did I ever tell you that in Vietnam I made pizzas and tortillas (use in Mexican food) for us? The boys prefer the pizzas I make but...damn lot of trouble! And the tortillas were out of necessity b/c no prefab ones were available. That is until we found a decent Tex Mex restaurant and I quit making those real quick! Whew.

Lilian said...

LOL @ Heaven Forbid. Hey, you won't know how wonderful a place is till you've tried it.

I've made my own pizza, and you're right, bloody ma fan. Tortilla never, are they deep fried?

You sure love Mexican food.

Hsien Lei said...

Tortillas are pan fried but the scary thing is how much lard you need when you make it by hand. Otherwise, they're hard as cardboard. Damn tasty, though. heh