Thursday, March 22, 2007

Roald Dahl's Jack & the Beanstalk

Attended Brian's school musical performance of Roald Dahl's Jack & the Beanstalk.

The Yr3s and Yr4s have been practising for a couple of months and rehearsals went full-speed these past 3 weeks, with daily practice and no lessons most days. I doubt if this would ever be allowed in Singapore schools. No lessons?? HOW CAN??...Parents would complain to MOE surely.

I love it that schools here place such great importance on the arts. The children had a superb time and I believe will benefit lots from such experiences.

The musical was held at Waterman's Theatre and as it was in the evening, most fathers attended too. Eddie couldn't go as he is in Singapore. Brian insisted I purchase the DVD which Ed has promised to watch, it cost me a whopping £20.

Anyway we all had a wonderful time. Brian looked cute in his two roles as a trader and an owl. The final full-dress rehearsal was actually this morning (there were two rehearsals today) and a mother had told me there were still many errors. But the children came through during the real event, and it was a big success. Brian later told me his friend Peter said a bad dress rehearsal means good luck...so there you go.